Constructive discourse has a place in opinion

Lucero Ponce, Contributor

Editor’s note: Lucero Ponce is currently running unopposed to become the next editor-in-chief of The Daily Texan. For this column, she was given the following prompt: How should a newspaper treat controversial and unpopular viewpoints within its opinion department?

There’s no denying that the opinion department’s content has usually fallen within a similar viewpoint. While my own columns have certainly fallen under that category, I will say that as editor-in-chief, I have no intention to make the opinion department follow my own views. The opinion department should and will represent the thoughts of the UT community.

With a campus of over 50,000 students, we will never all agree on one thing. The beauty of the opinion department is that it should be able to reflect the student body’s opinions as much as possible. There are different opinions on campus, and by only voicing one type of opinion, we would ultimately be doing an injustice to our readers. However, this department should not be tarnished by those with malintent.

It’s important to note that there’s a difference between unpopular opinions and hate speech. An unpopular opinion is something the general public doesn’t agree with. However, according to the United Nations, hate speech is the “offensive discourse targeting a group or an individual based on inherent characteristics (such as race, religion or gender) and that may threaten social peace.” Hate speech will not be tolerated.

There may be columns that spark debate, but that doesn’t mean the department should shy away from publishing them. It’s understandable why people would not want to run any controversial pieces at all. But the whole point of the opinion department is that it should encourage discussion and make readers aware of various opinions. 

While keeping this in mind, columnists should be able to write what they believe in as long as the critiques are constructive in nature. The campus community should feel confident submitting op-eds without fear of an editor-in-chief ignoring their opinions because they disagree. As editor-in-chief, I encourage the community to be active and send in their op-eds, as long as they follow the values of The Daily Texan. 

There will be a set of guidelines to ensure that only quality content is published. The opinion department should be able to encourage civil discourse amongst the readers and members of the UT community. Conversing with each other, whether or not we agree, is crucial for becoming curious and reflective people. If we shy away from topics that make us uncomfortable, we limit ourselves to the same mindset. 

The opinion department will be a safe place for both the opinion columnists and its readers. Columnists will be given the space to advocate for what they believe in, whether it’s something I agree with or not. Because at the end of the day, the opinion department serves the UT community, not one singular person’s beliefs. 

As editor-in-chief, I hope that the UT community can trust me with protecting the paper from hate speech and mediating the various views within the opinion department.  

In order to have a more reflective department of campus opinions, we need active campus discourse in the paper. I encourage the campus community to submit op-eds to voice their opinions and for students to join the Texan when we begin hiring at the start of the summer, spring and fall semesters. 

Ponce is a journalism and Mexican American and Latina/o Studies sophomore from Laredo, Texas.