No. 3 Texas men’s swimming and diving cruises to Big 12 Championship victory

Swimmers+compete+in+the+Big+12+Swimming+and+Diving+Championship+at+the+Lee+and+Joe+Jamail+Texas+Swimming+Center+on+Feb.+25%2C+2022.+The+University+of+Texas+was+named+Big+12+Champions+for+mens+and+womens+events.+

Parker Pokluda

Swimmers compete in the Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championship at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center on Feb. 25, 2022. The University of Texas was named Big 12 Champions for men’s and women’s events.

Elijah Garcia, General Sports Reporter

Texas men’s swimming and diving made the podium a familiar place after their dominant Big 12 Championship performance over the weekend, winning 20 out of 21 events. 

The Longhorns defended their conference title yet again with a score of 1,060 points, 200 points more than runner-up TCU. The win gives Texas its 27th-straight conference title, and in an array of Big 12 colors filling the Texas swimming center crowd, it was burnt orange that prevailed. 

Texas also took home each individual award. Juniors Carson Foster and Noah Duperre won swimmer and diver of the meet, respectively. Graduate transfer Will Chan earned swimming newcomer, and freshman Nick Harris won diving newcomer of the meet.

Foster took swimmer of the meet behind his three individual gold medal finishes and three relay gold medal finishes. He earned gold for the 200m backstroke and 200m and 400m individual medley, his third-straight title in all events. He also collected the gold in the 200m medley relay and the 400m and 800m freestyle relay. He set meet records in both the 200m and 400m IM with times of 1:40.42 and 3:35.49.

Duperre finished with gold in the platform diving finals and took silver in the one and three-meter diving finals. Duperre’s gold medal nets him his first career conference championship. 

Chan stamped his first season in the Big 12 with one individual gold medal and two relay gold medals. Chan earned first place in the 100m breaststroke with a time of 51.65 and earned two relay wins in the 200m freestyle relay and 200m medley relay.

Harris nabbed his first conference title with a gold-medal finish in the three-meter diving finals. 

The rest of the individual awards came from junior David Johnston in the 500m and 1650m freestyle, fifth-year Daniel Krueger in the 50m and 100m freestyle, senior Sam Artmann in the 100m and 200m fly, senior Peter Larson in the 200m free, senior Ethan Harder in the 100m backstroke and senior Caspar Corbeau in the 200m breaststroke. 

Texas men’s swimming and diving defended its Big 12 Championship title in nearly flawless fashion. 

The Longhorns now approach the American Short Course Championships from March 2-4 at the Texas Swimming Center.