Texas Soccer draws with Oklahoma in spring season matchup

Isa Almeida, General Sports Reporter

With a last-second miss by Oklahoma, Texas soccer’s first home game in the 2023 spring season ended in a tie.

The two teams had met in Austin during the regular season, where Texas took the three points home with goals by sophomore forward Trinity Byars, fifth-year outside back Emma Regan and sophomore center-back EmJ Cox. Only one out of the three goalscorers returned to the spring matchup, but less than fifteen minutes into the game, Cox suffered an injury and got carried out off the pitch. Cox had played all 1,980 possible minutes in the 2022 season.

Despite the scoreless end, both halves were filled with action as the teams fought hard. 

Sophomore midfielder Lexi Missimo and sophomore forward Holly Ward pushed the Sooner defense to play their best game with their agility and successful passes.

“I think that whole sophomore class … is really a talented group, number one class in the country for a reason,” Coach Angela Kelly told the Texan last fall.

Oklahoma’s attack came the closest to scoring in the second half, with one shot on goal being saved by sophomore goalkeeper Megan Hogate and two barely missing the back of the net in the last five minutes of the game.

Freshman forward Liz Worden also created good opportunities and presented strong ball control for Texas but failed to score.  

Though it was an off-season game, the St. David’s Performance Center Field 3 was filled with fans of all ages for both teams. “Boomer Sooner” chants were responded to with “Texas Fight!” and the rivalry banter was heard throughout the match.

The Longhorns will travel to Nacogdoches next Sunday to face Stephen F. Austin and will return home to Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field on April 15 against Houston and wrap up their season on April 22 hosted by North Texas in Denton.