Texas wins 15th straight, takes 5-2 victory over Aggies in College Station

JT Bowen, General Sports Reporter

The Longhorns won their first game in College Station since 2011 and kept their win streak alive en route to a 5-2 victory over Texas A&M.

Despite leaving 15 runners on base compared to the Aggies’ seven, Texas was able to outlast the Aggies thanks to nine innings of solid pitching and fielding. The Longhorns took the lead in the top of the first and held the lead the rest of the way.

Redshirt junior left fielder Porter Brown, who was named the Big 12 Player of the Week, opened up the scoring on a two-run double to center field, scoring redshirt junior third baseman Peyton Powell and junior right fielder Dylan Campbell.

Redshirt sophomore Lebarron Johnson Jr. drew the start for the Longhorns and was credited with the win, tossing three innings. After a shaky first frame in which he threw two wild pitches and ceded a run to cut the Texas lead to one, he tossed two scoreless innings, including a pick-off out during the third. 

With redshirt senior center fielder Eric Kennedy at third, Campbell singled to send him home and extend the lead back to two runs in the third inning. Campbell went 2-4 in his at-bats, walked once and scored a run in addition to his RBI.

Junior pitcher Heston Tole tossed a runless fourth inning before being subbed out for sophomore David Shaw, who would handle the fifth and sixth innings. The Aggies pulled back to within one run in the sixth inning after a single punched in a runner at third who had tripled in his at-bat, but Texas was able to stop the bleeding on a double play and fly-out to end the inning.

The Longhorns opted to play junior pitcher Lucas Gordon for the seventh, his first time coming out of the bullpen this season. Gordon looked sharp, throwing two strikeouts and not allowing a hit. Freshman first baseman Jared Thomas made an acrobatic catch on a line drive feet over his head to close the inning heading into the eighth.

After a strikeout by freshman designated hitter Rylan Galvan to open the eighth inning, Kennedy singled and stole second on a wild pitch. Redshirt junior Peyton Powell, who went 3-4 at the plate for the night, singled on the next at-bat and sent Kennedy to third. Later with the bases loaded, the Aggies gifted the Longhorns a much-needed run, hitting junior catcher Garret Guillemette on a full count to send Kennedy home and give Texas a two-run lead.

Porter Brown came up big, hitting a single that scored Powell and gave the Longhorns a 5-2 lead over the Aggies.

Redshirt junior Zane Morehouse closed the game on the mound for Texas, and was officially credited with the save. Though he walked back-to-back batters at the bottom of the ninth who would advance to second and third after junior second baseman Jack O’Dowd bobbled a potential double play, he threw consecutive strikeouts to ice the game for the Longhorns.

Texas will look to keep the win streak alive as it heads to Stillwater to take on Oklahoma State this weekend.