Maas and Stark lead No. 11 Texas men’s golf to sixth place finish at the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational

Bo Espey, General Sports Reporter

The No. 11 ranked Texas Longhorns ended in sixth place at the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational this weekend after the team shot 13-under-par 851 through three rounds. No. 12 Florida ran away with the lead, finishing with a comfortable 12 stroke margin as the Gators shot an impressive 39-under-par 825. Senior Fred Biondi of Florida won the individual leaderboard with a score of 15-under-par.

The 15-team tournament field consisted of six teams ranked in the latest Bushnell/Golfweek Division I Coaches poll. The Longhorns’ starting lineup included graduate student Brian Stark and senior Travis Vick along with a trio of freshmen featuring Christiaan Maas, Tommy Morrison and Jacob Sosa.

Day one saw three Longhorns tied for 13th in the individual leaderboard, with a score of 2-under-par before play was suspended in the second round due to darkness. Maas started off strong as usual, scoring 3-under-par in his first round. But after struggling early in his second round, he birdied on hole 14 and hole 15 before his day was cut short. 

The veteran Stark also posted 2-under-par after scoring a cool 1-under-par in round one before hitting a birdie on 15 in his second round before he lost sunlight. After shooting even in the first round, Sosa turned it around with an eagle on 14 and a birdie on 15 to salvage his day with a 2-under-par. Morrison finished Saturday tied for 36th and Vick ended in a tie for 45th.

Round three on Sunday saw the Longhorns shoot better as a team, but the improved shooting was ultimately not enough to push them out of their sixth place ranking. 

Maas catapulted up eight spots in the final round after a subpar finish to his second round saw him drop a few spots in the individual leaderboard. He carded four birdies with no birdies in his last round en route to a total score of 6-under-par and a tie for eighth place, his fifth top-10 finish in his young college career. Stark also finished tied for eighth place after shooting 3-under-par in his last round. The Oklahoma State transfer has been a nice addition to the roster after enrolling this spring semester. 

Sosa finished 3-under-par as he settled for a tie for 16th, moving up 10 spots in the process after rattling off four birdies to one bogey in his last round. Despite placing tied for 36th after shooting 3-over-par, Morrison carded an impressive six birdies in his final round of the weekend. Vick shot even in his last round as he concluded his tournament in a tie for 42nd.

The Longhorns are off next weekend and hit the greens again at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe, Arizona from April 14-15.