Senate Bill 597 aims to make college experience more accessible for student parents

Mason Rouser, General News Reporter

Editor’s note: This article has been updated to reflect the current status of Senate Bill 597 and House Bill 1361 as of May 19, 2023.

A bill filed in the Texas Senate would designate a representative officer at public universities who would help provide students who are parents with resources to meet their specific needs. 

Senate Bill 597, the companion bill to House Bill 1361 which was refilled from last session, states every higher education institution must have at least one employee who can “act as a liaison officer for current or incoming students … who are the parent or guardian of a child younger than 18 years of age.” The officer must provide these students with information regarding resources such as medical and behavioral health coverage services and public programs related to food security, affordable housing and housing subsidies.

Andria Zamarripa, a student raising a 5-month-old baby, said student parents have to find and apply for resources themselves, which can be difficult.

“(When) I first found out I was pregnant, I of course knew there was WIC and SNAP to apply for, but my family had never used government assistance,” history junior Zamarripa said. “I had to navigate that and figure out how to fill out the paperwork and not get in trouble … it was kind of tricky.” 

The liaison would also be required to provide information about parenting and child care resources, employment assistance, transportation assistance and student academic success strategies.

Zamarippa said a liaison would be beneficial to her experience as a student parent. She said her husband supports her and she has an accommodating research assistant job, but access to resources like childcare provided by UT is difficult to obtain due to long waitlists. 

“Luckily I got that position and (the professor) was very helpful,” Zamarippa said. “Other than that, I wouldn’t really know how to find a job, even something part time because (it’s) very difficult.” 

Organizations like the Student Parent Organization bring awareness of many resources and provide a community for student parents, said Emily Rangel, Student Parent Organization president. She said that the Transfer Year Experience Program also has good resources for student parents.

Rangel, who is also a single mother working multiple jobs whilst being a full-time student, helped establish a diaper, formula and wipes pantry at the UT Outpost so student parents can collect free necessities. However, her duties as president of SPO on top of her responsibilities as a mother and a student can be difficult to balance.

“I’m an officer of the Student Parent Organization, but I’m managing so much,” said Rangel, a speech, language and hearing sciences junior. “The other officers are managing so much (too), so if there’s a designated person to delegate those tasks to, that would bring a lot of relief.”

HB 1361 passed in the House, and after being voted on by the Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education SB 597 is moving on to the Senate.