UT School of Nursing appoints Eun-Ok Im as new dean

Courtesy of Eun-Ok Im

Eun-Ok Im is set to become the next dean of the School of Nursing starting Sept. 1, following the announcement of her appointment on Monday. 

Im is currently the senior associate dean for research and innovation as well as the Edith Folsom Honeycutt endowed chair in the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. Prior to her time at Emory University, Im was an associate dean for research development and regulatory affairs, a University distinguished professor, the Mary T. Champagne professor in the School of Nursing at Duke University and Marjorie O. Rendell endowed chair at the School of Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania. She also served as the La Quinta Motor Inns Inc. centennial professor in Nursing at UT from 2007 to 2011. 

Im received a bachelor’s degree in nursing and a master’s degree in public health from Seoul National University. She later received a master’s degree and Ph.D. in nursing from the University of California, San Francisco. She taught courses in a range of subjects related to the field of nursing including nursing theory, nursing philosophy and global women’s health. 

Im’s own work tends to focus on how technology-based interventions can be used to provide new kinds of care and she is known as a leader in global women’s health research. 

“Dr. Im is an exemplary scientist and mentor who will foster continued innovation in nursing science,” Sharon Wood, the executive vice president and provost of UT, said in an email. “Through her leadership, she will build on the school’s successes while developing the next generation of nurses and scholars.”

Im will succeed Alexa Stuifbergen who served as dean for 14 years.