Forgetting the freshman fifteen

Elizabeth Banda

Content Warning: This column contains discussion of struggles with body image and disordered eating.

Adapting to college life is difficult. Specifically, incoming freshmen find it hard to maintain steady, healthy eating habits. Though some may think that it’s just a cartoonish phrase, the looming fear of the so-called “Freshman 15” has negative effects that should be addressed.

The phrase “Freshman 15” refers to the idea that students gain an average of 15 pounds during their first year away from home, due to the lifestyle changes that come from being a college student: a mix of the introduction of new foods, an increase in stress and less physical activity. 

Erin Ebert is an adjunct assistant professor at UT who has a private psychotherapy practice where she is an eating disorder specialist. 

“You may know people from your high school, but it’s likely that you will be meeting a lot of people for the first time and folks are concerned about fitting in,” Ebert said. 

The expectation of unhealthy weight gain in a student’s first year adds to the long-standing idea that a person must fixate on what and how much they eat in order to conform to modern beauty standards. The truth is that weight gain should not be seen as a mark of failure, especially during a time when students already have so many other things to worry about. 

Hannah Auldridge is a registered dietician at a private practice in Austin where she specializes in eating disorders and recovery.

“I think college freshmen are already in a really difficult position of change and putting that much pressure on such a little amount of weight or having to remain looking the exact sam, definitely does not help with a lot of body image issues that people already have when they’re dealing with a totally new environment,” Auldridge said.

Being anxious about such a serious change is normal. However, it is important to not let negative beliefs control an individual’s experiences. By discarding the phrase “Freshman 15,” students can help by focusing on creating a more inclusive space where incoming students don’t have to worry about their body image. 

At UT, there are resources available to fight back against negative body image. These include the Eating Recovery Center and the UT Body Project. However, these resources aren’t as impactful unless students actively try to change the culture within their own communities. In order to move towards a more welcoming environment, students must begin to understand what is wrong with the “Freshman 15” phrase.

College is a brand new experience for all incoming students at UT. Because they don’t know what to expect their first year on the Forty Acres, preventing the spread of negative body stereotypes is essential during an already stressful time in an incoming student’s life. 

As a community, students should focus their energy on fostering a positive environment in which other individuals feel accepted regardless of their physical appearance. 

Bernal is an English junior from Dallas, Texas.