Around Austin: Free and affordable things to do this fall

Ana Campos

Lately, Austin has become synonymous with unaffordability, especially for UT students. Despite rising costs, the city’s charming commercial centers, live music scene, warm weather (or recently, inferno-like temperatures) and southern hospitality continue to make Austin a can’t-miss destination. To help Longhorns take advantage of all Austin has to offer without breaking the bank, The Daily Texan compiled a list of exciting free or affordable activities. 

Enjoy Austin’s Premier Outdoor Spots

Once temperatures cool, students can revel in the best outdoor spots Austin has to offer. For an aesthetic charcuterie board picnic or an afternoon getting lost in a favorite novel, spend a few hours at Zilker Park. For those unable to travel far, take a blanket to the UT Main Mall for a grandiose view of the Texas Capitol. 

For those willing to break a sweat, golden hour hikes up the steps to Mount Bonnell not only provide great exercise but offer a breathtaking view of Austin. 

Attend Songwriters’ Open Mic at the Cactus Cafe

All artists get their start somewhere. Although the “Live Music Capital of the World” welcomes an endless lineup of musicians, many find it difficult to discover live music for free. Luckily, UT students can enjoy free performances of original music at the Cactus Cafe in the University Union on Tuesday nights at 7:30 p.m. 

Tour ACL Live at the Moody Theater

Some places mark sacred ground for music enthusiasts. There’s the live music of Broadway in Nashville, the folksy haze of Laurel Canyon in Southern California, and then there’s Austin City Limits: the longest-running music television program in history, where stars from Willie Nelson to Fats Domino have taken the stage over the past half-century. 

For $12, students can experience a 90-minute tour of the state-of-the-art Moody Theater downtown. Tours run six days a week, and buses stop a mere 6-minute walk from the venue. 

Volunteer at the Texas Tribune Festival

The biggest names in media and politics, from journalist Katie Couric to former Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, will arrive in Austin from Sept. 21-23 for the annual Texas Tribune Festival. Boasting access to three days of panels and interview sessions, festival passes typically cost $50 for students and more than $250 for other attendees. But students who volunteer for a minimum of six hours earn a general admission festival pass for free, gaining access to all events. 

Some of these activities might seem inaccessible at first, especially for students without a car.  However, all UT students enjoy free bus access with a swipe of their UT ID card. Bus stops are located throughout campus, with one stop being just steps from the University Co-Op.