Y2K brands that will glam up your closet

Back and better than ever thanks to Gen Z’s nostalgia, Y2K fashion, including flip phones, rhinestones and deftones —  the aesthetics of the ‘90s and 2000s — are making a roaring comeback. Whether the baggy swag of Jesse Pinkman or the pink-covered moxie of Regina George, the zeitgeist yearn for the early millennium’s glamorous style. For those looking to maximize their Y2K aesthetic, The Daily Texan compiled a list of brands to explore.

JNCO

Founded in 1985 by Jacques Yaakov Revah and Haim Milo Revah and famous for its controversially baggy jeans, JNCO stands for “Judge None Choose One.” Synonymous with skating, raves and graffiti, JNCO ruled ‘90s teen counterculture, symbolizing teenage angst against the tyranny of society’s straight leg pants. JNCO grew to become the premier brand for huge jeans, encompassing styles ranging from 23 to over 40-inch leg circumferences. With embroidered graffiti imagery, laptop-sized back pockets and the most leg space imaginable, JNCO serves as the perfect brand for those looking to recreate the Y2K baggy look while staying comfortable and stylish. 

Juicy Couture

The velour it-girl of the 2000s, Gela Nash-Taylor and Pamela Skaist-Levy founded Juicy Couture in 1997. Adorned by the 2000s’ biggest celebrities such as Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, Juicy dominated the Y2K fashion era. Famous for their velour tracksuits in beautiful pastels displaying “Juicy” in rhinestones, the brand turned comfort clothing into a statement piece. The design’s simplicity, with bright colors and glitzy details, paired with huge sunglasses and a clutch purse, characterized 2000s womenswear. Perfect for those looking to turn heads, Juicy Couture provides both ease and absolute comfort. 

Ed Hardy

There’s no talking about Y2K fashion without mentioning Ed Hardy, the iconic tattooed face of the 2000s. With imagery of brightly-colored Japanese-style tigers, skulls and dragons, Don Ed Hardy became one of the most prominent and unique American tattoo artists since opening his store Tattoo City in 1977. It wasn’t until French businessman Christian Audigier collaborated with Hardy to license his work on clothing in 2004 that Hardy’s designs became cultural mainstays. Hardy’s beautifully detailed work appeared on everything from hats to jeans and jackets drenched in rhinestones, worn by the hottest stars of the 2000s. The artist pushed the boundaries of graphics in fashion and his pieces prove perfect for those looking for dazzling statement pieces. 

FUBU

FUBU, short for “For Us By Us,” started in the streets of Hollis, Queens in 1992 by Shark Tank star Daymond John and childhood friends J. Alexander Martin, Keith Perrin and Carl Brown. One of the first Black-owned streetwear brands in the country, FUBU rose to become the face of hip-hop throughout the ‘90s thanks to promotion from the likes of LL Cool J and Nas. The brand consists of baggy streetwear staples like sweatshirts, hoodies and jeans in bright colors emblazoned with the FUBU logo. The iconic FUBU jerseys became a staple in Y2K men’s fashion. FUBU is rich with cultural history and crafts an aesthetic straight from a ‘90s hip hop music video.