Texas Soccer defeats Iona on both sides of the ball

Midfielder+Lexi+Missimo+kicks+the+ball+during+the+game+against+Lipscomb+University+on+Aug.+18%2C+2022.+
Julius Shieh
Midfielder Lexi Missimo kicks the ball during the game against Lipscomb University on Aug. 18, 2022.

The Texas Longhorns took care of business in Austin as they defeated the Iona Gaels 6-0. This is the third time this season that Texas has beaten an opponent by six points.

The Longhorn offense made their presence known early on in the first period with 21 total shots, 10 shots on goal, and seven corners. Texas played aggressively, driving the ball up center field numerous times, putting a good amount of pressure on Iona’s defense by keeping the ball on their side of the pitch. The Longhorns’ defensive wall held up in both periods of the game, keeping Iona scoreless.

Iona started the game defense heavy with five defenders, while the Longhorns started five in the midfield and only one forward. Most notably amongst the lineup was junior midfielder Lexi Missimo, who finished the game with 12 shots, eight shots on goal, and one assist. Missimo also finished with three goals.

“Trinity (Byars) gave me two dimes,” Missimo said. “It wasn’t really hard to put those away. For the last one I’m pretty sure it was just a ball over the front, and I just happened to be there at the right place right time.” Missimo’s first two goals were scored only three minutes apart in the 51st and 54th minutes of the match.

Junior forward Trinity Byars also showed out with four shots, four shots on goal, two assists and one goal. Penn State transfer Jilly Shimkin and sophomore forward Liz Worden both came up with a goal each in the second period.

“It’s a very hard system to play against being in a bunker,” Texas head coach Angela Kelly said. “You got to organize the box well, you have to have great wide play, and you have to be clinical in the box. I thought we were able to do a better job of that in the second half.”

Texas’s win over Iona came right after a loss to LSU last week, which led to a change in their game plan against Iona. 

“We created opportunities against LSU,” Kelly said. “We’ve been working all season on being clinical in front of the goal, and I think tonight you saw that. To have six (goals) in the second half is really good.”

Texas is now sitting on a 3-1 record.

The Longhorns will take the pitch against UTRGV on Thursday at 7 p.m. at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin.