Business minors have major benefits

Sharon Chang

When I first arrived at UT, I noticed a shared sentiment among non-business majors: relief in avoiding the McCombs School of Business. From the pre-medicine to the mechanical engineering tracks, these students wanted nothing to do with business classes. 

While many non-business students dismiss business minors as unrelated to their career pathway, this perception blocks them from valuable educational opportunities. Non-business majors should set aside their hesitancy and consider a business minor.

In today’s globalized world, nearly every workforce sector is related to business in some capacity. Even though we may not consciously acknowledge it, workplaces like hospitals or freelance positions in artistry all operate as businesses. 

This interconnected reality makes business backgrounds crucial to a well-rounded education. Students who automatically overlook the value and versatility of a business minor may inadvertently place themselves at a disadvantage.

“People can be experts in their major field of study, but if they’ve never taken a class to … understand the basics of management … it can be really challenging for someone who’s graduated (to manage people),” said Sarah Singer, program administrator for McCombs business minors. “Having that experience in a class here … can then help set them apart and allow them to move into a supervisory role a little faster.”

Business minors are supplemental tools for any primary field of study. These degrees equip students with fundamental business knowledge crucial to various disciplines. They can widen students’ job prospects, increase marketability and reinforce corporate promotions. 

“In my opinion, the business minor is very diverse (by) not just having classes or content from one concentration or area of focus,” public health sophomore Rohan Nigudkar said. “Having that versatility will allow me to be a more well-rounded individual and will apply to more aspects of my future dental care.”

As employers increasingly emphasize technical skills, a business minor could be the differentiating factor between two otherwise similar applicants. 

“Employers are looking for folks‌ … who have a variety of experiences rather than just a narrow perspective of just their major requirements,” Singer said.

McCombs has several accommodations to encourage non-business majors to pursue the business minor program. The program is tailored specifically to non-business majors, emphasizing a more digestible and relatable learning experience. 

“The faculty who are teaching (business minor) classes are aware that they’re getting students from across the spectrum, and so I know they try to model their classes so that all students can be successful in them,” Singer said. 

The program also offers alternative outlets for coursework, allowing students to balance competing class requirements. Singer said McCombs will hold a business minor expo on Sept. 27 for interested students to learn more about the educational opportunity.

“Some of our programs have an actual summer program attached to them,” Singer said. “So what’s great about those programs that offer that is that those students are able to get through a significant amount of coursework in a shorter period of time.”

Regardless of their career aspirations, non-business students should take advantage of a business minor to enhance their academic and professional experiences. The payoffs of this degree are applicable across industries and will significantly impact students’ trajectories after graduation.

Gokhale is a finance sophomore from Allen, Texas.