Best back-to-school fashion brands

As students return to campuses around the country, refreshing one’s wardrobe can be essential. With a new semester comes new styles as the year transitions from summer to fall. For those in need of guidance toward building their aesthetic, the Daily Texan compiled a list of brands that provide great back-to-school clothing options to help spruce up closets around campus. 

Uniqlo

Created in 1984 originally under the name “Unique Clothing Warehouse,” Japanese retailer Uniqlo rose to become one of the premier fashion retailers in the world with over 2,394 stores worldwide. Focusing on high quality basics and essentials, Uniqlo describes its clothing as “Lifewear” — an evolution in quality and style in the ordinary clothes people wear everyday. With the brand’s success came numerous high-end collaborations with the likes of KAWS, Marni, JW Anderson and more. Uniqlo provides high-fashion pieces to consumers at affordable prices and makes for the perfect place for those looking for high quality basics that won’t break the bank. 

Carhartt

Gen Z brings back workwear and transforms it into streetwear. Founded in 1889 by Hamilton Carhartt, the workwear company clothed the backs of blue collar workers for over a century. The company’s dedication to authenticity translates in their tough, durable and high-quality basics. In 1989, the company changed forever after creating Carhartt Work In Progress, a more streetwear oriented subsidiary that focused on creating alternative designs that cater to communities who embraced the brand like hip hop, skating and graffiti culture. Now, Carhartt’s iconic beanies and double knee pants can be seen everywhere thanks to their durable, utilitarian style that will last in closets forever.

Kühl

This unorthodox outdoor brand proves perfect for those looking to wear a garment that sends a message. Originally founded as Alfwear in 1983, Kühl takes pride in breaking rules as an independently owned renegade. The company seeks to question and combat the norms found in conventional outdoorswear by embracing a rebellious attitude “born in the mountains.” The brand makes a staunch commitment to ethical treatment of employees and environmentally conscious material sourcing. On Kühl’s website, one can find high-quality and intricately crafted outdoor basics full of attitude and authenticity designed for the bold and adventurous. 

J Crew

The king of accessible upscale garments serves as the perfect place to find fall essentials. Founded in 1947 under the name “Popular Club Plan,” the company found great success selling low-priced womenswear. It wasn’t until 1983, when renamed J Crew, the brand developed a more preppy and upper middle-class style to compete with retailers like Ralph Lauren and LL Bean. J Crew offers any type of garment one could need, even including accessories and shoes. Focusing first and foremost on quality, the brand houses hundreds of styles that radiate class and style. Although pricier, those looking for the classic preppy look for school will find pieces that will last at J Crew.