Aimed for the moon and reached the stars

Schuyler Burke

Editor’s note: This column was submitted to the Texan by a member of the UT community.

Have you ever heard about Rancagua? Probably not. This is a small city in Chile, and that’s where I grew up. About five years ago, in Nov. 2018, I visited Austin for the first time. I was looking for the right place to conduct my Ph.D. studies, so I visited several cities to make the best decision I could. I had big expectations about Austin, not only because the LBJ School at UT is one of the top public policy schools in the US, but also because the faculty and the students I met during this visit were so welcoming. They really made me feel at home, even though I hadn’t even applied. 

I had meetings with two of my possible advisors, we chatted about my research interests, and I felt very excited to notice their enthusiasm for working with me. They also gave me great advice about the application process, they invited me to attend classes and seminars, and they also set up a special meeting with current students so I could ask about their experience in the program. All that during the two days I was here. That’s what you call VIP treatment. This place just felt right, so I decided to change my flight and stay another couple of days to explore the city because if everything was going right, I was supposed to live here for at least five years. So, the day after all those meetings at the LBJ School, I just did a little hike at the Barton Creek Greenbelt, and while I was there lying down, enjoying the beautiful nature, I thought “Will I be here next year? Because definitely, this is the place I want to be.”  

I started the program in the fall of 2019 and all the expectations I had were largely fulfilled. My cohort was amazing, with people from different countries and the most diverse backgrounds, something that surely was a great contribution to my learning process. I remember those discussions during the Theory class; they were just amazing. 

During my second year, through the Connect program at the RGK center from the LBJ School, I had the chance to work with “Foundation Communities,” a local nonprofit that provides affordable housing. This was a great opportunity to apply everything I had learned already. I learned a great deal from their model of providing affordable housing for those who need it the most. I am eager to apply all this knowledge to improve housing policies when I go back to Chile, my home country.

But not everything is working, right? Here in Austin, I joined two running clubs, one at the LBJ School, and a local LGBTQ+ running club, the Austin Front Runners. Running is my way to have some rest because Ph.D. work can be overwhelming sometimes. It is also a useful way to socialize with other people outside the school. And boy, I took running very seriously. In 2021 I joined the ambassador group for the Austin Marathon, and in 2022 I got to be the ambassador program coordinator for the Longhorn Run at UT. Also, in that year I ran my first marathon ever, one of the most gratifying experiences in my life.

Of course, another important aspect of my Ph.D. studies at LBJ has been the multiple options to collaborate with faculty conducting original research. I have fantastic mentors and thanks to them I had the possibility to attend different conferences across the US. This along with the opportunity of working as a teaching assistant, represents fundamental experience if I want to work in academia in the future. In fact, I enjoy working as a teaching assistant very much, and I think everyone noticed it because last year I received the teaching assistant award at the LBJ School.

Now, when I’m close to finishing my Ph.D., I can say that I have no regrets at all about the decision I made four years ago. I feel part of the LBJ family; they have been extremely supportive. They have helped me to finance my studies, they provided job opportunities, the faculty and the students have been extremely kind to share their knowledge, and most importantly they took the time to get to know me as a person, providing also personal care and advice. I couldn’t be more grateful for all the opportunities I found at LBJ, all the experience I have gained, and how much I have learned here, not only for my professional career but also for my life. I truly feel I aimed for the moon, and I reached the stars.

LBJ all the way!

Antequera is a Ph.D. candidate at the LBJ School of Public Affairs from Rancagua, Chile.