Finding home, through trial and objections

Schuyler Burke

Editor’s note: This column was submitted to the Texan by a member of the UT community.

Coming to UT Austin for the first time was unlike anything I had seen before. Everyone was representing this school so dearly, whether it was throwing up the horns, or even just yelling “Texas Fight,” but I never truly understood it. It wasn’t until I found a community here at UT that I understood what being a Longhorn meant to me.

When I first came to campus, I was a pre-law student looking for an organization to join. I saw one in particular that stuck out to me while walking on Speedway: Texas Mock Trial. I remember thinking to myself that I had done mock trial before, and this was something that aligned with my interests, so why not try and join the team? A 5 minute speech, and a 10 question direct examination later, I had made the team. This was basically my life now.

But no way that an organization where we dress up as lawyers and compete around the nation would be my family or my community, right? Well, that’s where I was completely wrong. I met my closest friends and relationships through Texas Mock Trial; we spent hours together at our lowest moments, and celebrated together at our highest. We go to competitions and hold the horns up high, just so everyone knows we’re the Longhorns. We chant “What starts here changes the world” before a round as loud as we can, so other teams know we’re coming, and of course, whenever we win, we yell “Texas Fight” at the top of our lungs.

That is when I started to realize what it meant to be a Longhorn. It was the sense of pride and community from the University of Texas at Austin. If it wasn’t for the embracing community that being a Longhorn cultivated around me, I would have never been able to pursue my passions and find lifelong friends while doing so in Texas Mock Trial. And being a Longhorn doesn’t just entail finding a community in such a big school, it’s the pride that also comes along with us as we represent this university across the nation.

Being a Longhorn has also shown me the importance of embracing change and personal growth. UT Austin isn’t just a school; it’s a lively place that keeps us on our feet, challenging us to think critically, carry out new ideas, and broaden our horizons. It’s where we grow, inside and outside of the classroom. As I continue my journey at UT and step into the role of president of Texas Mock Trial, I’ve learned to appreciate the transformation that this university encourages. It’s about sharpening our skills, finding what we’re passionate about, and building the resilience to handle whatever life throws at us. 

Being a Longhorn means being part of a community that fosters not just academic growth, but personal growth too. So, when I throw up the horns and yell “Texas Fight,” it’s not just a shout; it’s to show my pride for UT and stand by this University’s enduring spirit and my commitment to making a positive impact on the world. Hook ‘Em! 

Mehta is a junior Plan II and economics major from Allen, Texas.