What does being a Longhorn mean to you?

Schuyler Burke

Since its founding, the University has seen thousands of graduating classes come through our campus. Although countless changes have reshaped our world in the last 138 years, one thing still stands the test of time: our collective identities as Longhorns.

Being a Longhorn means creating new paths or perhaps diverting from a path that was already meant for you. The affiliation bridges an individual to an expansive, everlasting community. 

In this forum project, we asked educators and students for their personal perspectives on what being a Longhorn means to them. 

Qusay Hussein, a doctoral student at the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, illustrates his story from Iraqi refugee to a beacon of hope at UT.

Maria Piedra Castillo, a government junior, recalls her experience being first-gen at UT and calls for other students to find strength through community during their time at UT.

Raj Mehta, a Plan II and economics junior, describes his experiences with the Texas Mock Trial team and his path toward self-discovery.

Felipe Antequera, Ph.D. candidate at the LBJ School of Public Affairs, discusses his journey coming to one of the top public policy schools in the United States from Rancagua, Chile.

Zack Schlosberg, a program coordinator for the Joynes Reading Room at UT, explores the literary heartbeat of campus and its role in fostering a community of Longhorn writers.

The forum team consists of forum editors Ellie Monday, Tommy Wan and editor-in-chief Lucero Ponce. As always, if you have any thoughts on this topic or any other, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].