Games to Watch: Week 5

Sophomore+Jonathon+Brooks+celebrates+with+his+teammates+after+scoring+the+first+touchdown+during+the+game+against+Rice+on+Sept.+2%2C+2023.+
Kennedy Weatherby
Sophomore Jonathon Brooks celebrates with his teammates after scoring the first touchdown during the game against Rice on Sept. 2, 2023.

Another week of college football is here, and there are plenty of exciting games happening around the nation. Here’s a look at the top four games to look out for this weekend: 

No. 24 Kansas @ No. 3 Texas

Saturday, Sept. 30 at 2:30 p.m. CT on ABC 

Last time Kansas visited Darrell K Royal Stadium in 2021, the Jayhawks bested the Longhorns in an overtime game with a score of 57-56. Both teams had abysmal records, with Kansas finishing 2–10 on the season, while Texas finished below a .500 win rate (5–7) for the first time in four years. 

This time around, both squads come into the game undefeated and are ranked within the top 25 teams in the country. Quinn Ewers and his Texas offense seem to have unlocked the passing game, while the ground attack has left something to be desired. 

The Jayhawks are led by dual-threat quarterback Jalon Daniels, who has already thrown for over 700 yards and five touchdowns. This is a team led by experience, as 17 of 22 starters from last season returned for another year of Jayhawks football. 

No. 10 Utah @ No. 19 Oregon State

Friday, Sept. 29 at 8 p.m. CT on FS1 

The Utah Utes are undefeated so far, however, they will be coming into this game with injuries to some of their key players. Quarterback Cameron Rising has yet to play a snap this season due to a torn ACL he suffered in last year’s Rose Bowl. Running back Ja’Quinden Jackson and receiver Mycah Pittman, who are both starters, are on the injury list, along with a handful of  other players. 

The Oregon State Beavers’ future is up in the air, but they’re focused on the task at hand, which is knocking off a top 10 team at home. The good news for the Beavers is that they have made it to week five relatively unscathed. Linebacker Makiya Tongue, who suffered a lower-leg injury and will be out for the rest of the season, is their biggest blow.

No.12 Alabama @ Mississippi State

Saturday, Sept. 30 at 8 p.m. CT on ESPN

The Crimson Tide have stumbled coming out the gate this season with a loss to Texas and only a 14-point win against unranked South Florida. The quarterback position was asked about a lot during the offseason, and a true starter was still being searched for during their game against USF. However, Jalen Milroe seems to have won the starting job after a strong performance against Ole Miss. It will be interesting to see if Alabama can look like the team they have been for years. Nick Saban and his squad will be on the road this week facing a rowdy Davis Wade Stadium. 

Iowa State @ No. 14 Oklahoma

Saturday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. on FS1

Oklahoma will be going against a consistently well coached team in Iowa State. The Sooners are undefeated, and for the time being look to be a contender for the Big 12 championship. Currently ranked No. 14, Brent Venables and his staff did lose senior defensive back Justin Harrington to a knee injury during week two. Outside of that, Oklahoma looks to be at full strength for their home game against the Cyclones.