ACL 2023 headliners playlist

Emma George

This year’s ACL lineup consists of a wide-ranging group of artists from genres such as alternative folk to electronic R&B. The eclectic nature of ACL can seem exciting yet daunting. Which stage deserves the most attention? To assist with this decision, The Daily Texan compiled a playlist of songs from a few of the headliners, providing a tasting menu full of an assorted set of sounds. 

“Angela” by The Lumineers 

The alternative folk band pairs the strumming of an acoustic guitar with strong, layered vocals in their track off their second, critically acclaimed album Cleopatra. The passion in lead singer Wesley Schultz’s voice along with the lively spirit of the song leaves listeners entranced. Known for energetic melodies, the band’s track urges listeners to jump about Zilker Park. 

“Fallingforyou” by The 1975

Vulnerable lyrics and a dynamic baseline characterize the complex nature of falling in love with the band’s tune. Strikingly different from the other songs on the alternative band’s self-titled album due to its slow and deliberate tempo, the track encapsulates the singularity behind a universal experience. 

“Different Kind of World” by Maggie Rogers

Progressing from a mellow track with an understated melody and isolated vocals to a powerful culmination of sound, the last track on her recent album Surrender showcases Rogers’ affinity for versatility. Rogers’ persistently soft cadence and the heavy instrumentals touch on something deep within listeners: a desire to be a multitude of things at once in an ever-changing world. 

“Never Felt So Alone” by Labrinth 

Providing listeners with a surreal listening experience, Labrinth’s collaboration with Billie Eilish on his 2023 album Ends & Begins, exemplifies the contemporary symphonies Labrinth is known for. With a catchy beat and the heavenly vocals of Eilish and Labrinth, the song leaves listeners with a sense of aching for the replay button. 

“Alright” by Kendrick Lamar 

Kendrick Lamar is no stranger to songs with biting political messages. On “Alright,” he takes Black pain and frustration and turns it into a beautiful rallying call that has been echoed around the world from protests across the country to his headlining set at Zilker Park.

“Moonlight” by Kali Uchis 

With an entrancingly euphoric sound, Kali Uchis encourages listeners to release themselves from trivial anxieties and worries. “Moonlight” is a neo-soul track that emphasizes letting go and enjoying life in the moment.

“Man! I Feel Like a Woman!” by Shania Twain

Shania Twain took a traditionally male-dominated genre and made it into her own, and this empowering anthem is as bold a choice today as it was nearly 30 years ago upon its release. As soon as the first lyric of “let’s go girls” comes on, fans need to be ready to “scream and shout” the lyrics.

“Hand in My Pocket” by Alanis Morissette

Alanis Morissette excels in embracing vulnerability like a superpower. She pulls no punches on “Hand in My Pocket,” which emphasizes the use of candid lyrics and raw delivery to celebrate imperfections and life’s paradoxes.