Austin gospel quartet The Moriah Sisters on ACL, empowering people to love

Courtesy of Chere Bennett

For Janice Lee of The Moriah Sisters, making music with family poses a challenge that she cherishes.

Formed 29 years ago out of Greater Mount Moriah Primitive Baptist Church, Austin native gospel quartet The Moriah Sisters hope to spread a message of love that speaks to their roots and inspires young people to create.

Lee, who sings with her sister Cynthia “Cece” Reliford and sisters in Christ Lauren Pool, Phelicia Rashid and LaTrice Simon, said they always seek to spread love, joy and peace through gospel.

“When we’re out singing to others thinking that we’re encouraging them, it’s amazing how the community really encourages us,” Lee said.

Active members of the church from youth, The Moriah Sisters serve as a staple act at the historic Stubb’s Bar-B-Q gospel brunch, appearing once a month and alternating with other gospel performers.

“We’ve met people from England, Canada, China,” Lee said. “We get to give (tourists) a little bit of the music capital of the world.”

In addition to Stubb’s, The Moriah Sisters can be found engaging with the Austin community through various projects, including participating in the American Artists Project alongside Grammy-winning artist Mela Sarajane Dailey, and featuring on Fox 7 News for annual holiday segments.

Looking forward to their ACL debut, The Moriah Sisters and their band hope to share gospel music with a new audience.

“Being able to have a platform of this magnitude is something that people wish they could do,” Lee said. “That ACL has included literally every genre is a blessing for us.”

Jonathan Davis, the band’s piano and organ player and an artist in his own right, said he anxiously anticipates leaving his mark on the ACL stage.

“This is a different avenue, different experience, different exposure,” Davis said. “Once you’re in the element, all those nerves go away and your focus is trying to convey that message, trying to be the best version of you.”

Davis connected with the group six years ago through Lee’s son and the band’s drummer, Calvin Shepard Jr. asked to fill in temporarily minutes before a show, Davis said he now performs with the group permanently.

“They gave me the music right then and there and I learned it in seconds,” Davis said. “I was definitely in the right space at the right time.”

On where the group is headed, Reliford said, “Definitely internationally. A little bit more tours and traveling around. We’ll say the world.”

Following their ACL debut, Reliford said the group plans to continue sharing their message through music.

“There’s a song that my sister Cynthia and I rearranged years ago that says, ‘This joy that I have, the world can’t take it,’” Lee said. “Sometimes when things are rough and you think you’re not going to make it, we’re there to remind you, you’re gonna make it.”