Five LGBTQ+ artists to see at Austin City Limits

Breyona Mitchell

Steadily featuring more diverse artists every year, Austin City Limits’ lineup looks much different than when it first started in 2002. Texas’ biggest music festival, ACL, is a great way to see long-beloved artists and find new favorites with sets from artists of all genres, nationalities and identities. For those looking forward to showing some pride at Zilker Park, The Daily Texan compiled a list of artists in the LGBTQ+ community to watch at ACL. 

Ethel Cain

A southern gothic belle, Ethel Cain’s music explores themes of faith, death and Americana, emulating classic country sounds with a modern twist. Cain’s fascinating and intimate debut album, Preacher’s Daughter, features the artist’s knack for writing gut-wrenching lyrics belted with no hesitation or reservations. The singer’s powerful and evocative voice, paired with stunning production and instrumentals, will undoubtedly make for a beautiful performance of one of the darkest concept albums released in recent years. 

Rina Sawayama 

The embodiment of cool, everything Rina Sawayama does, from starring in John Wick to covering Limp Bizkit on the Glastonbury stage, exudes confidence. Sawayama’s polished alt-pop will have any pop connoisseur thrilled and dancing their heart out, and her subtle R&B and metal influences are bound to shine across the festival grounds. Tracks like “XS” and “STFU!” can turn any casual listener into a die-hard Sawayama fan. 

Die Spitz

Hailing from Austin, Die Spitz blew up overnight, with their heavy rock and wonderfully punk aesthetics gaining tens of thousands of listeners all over the country. Ahead of their upcoming tour, where they will be supporting Australian rock band Amyl and the Sniffers, Die Spitz will take the stage at Zilker, promising plenty of guitar riffs and thumping drums. Their first time playing ACL, these Austinites will undoubtedly bring angst and grunge to the ACL stage, perfect for those looking for rock and roll. 

Tegan and Sara

Tegan and Sara’s subdued indie pop proves timeless, with the duo consistently churning out beautiful tracks and albums since 1998. Penning heartwarming love songs that found their rightful place on several rom-com soundtracks, festival-goers can look forward to a magical set filled with Tegan and Sara classics, such as “Closer” and “Where Does the Good Go.”

Yves Tumor 

Ever enigmatic, Yves Tumor’s experimental yet expressive tracks show the artist’s musical prowess on albums such as When Man Fails You and Heaven to a Tortured Mind. With songs that span multiple genres, Tumor’s versatility and mixing skills prove impressive; the artist’s bold production features blaring bass and dozens of club samples, promising a pumping set destined to get audiences on their feet.