Liveshot: Hozier is happy to keep coming back to ACL

Kevin Kim
Hozier performs at Austin City Limits 2023 at Zilker Park on Oct. 8, 2023.

Many anticipated Hozier’s return to Austin City Limits Music Festival this year, and it’s safe to say he did not disappoint his fans. He kicked off his hit-heavy set with “De Selby (Part 2),” and the chorus came in full-swing as fans cheered and sang along: “I wanna run against the world that’s turnin’ / I’d movе so fast that I’d outpace the dawn / I wanna be gonе.” 

After the next song, “Jackie and Wilson,” which garnered another wave of cheers from the crowd, Hozier told the audience, “I have a lot of good memories of this festival, it’s good to be back.” A wave of applause rippled through the audience, followed by a call-and-response game in which Hozier instructed the crowd to echo his “oohs” and “aahs” before launching into “To Be Alone” from his nearly-decade-old self-titled debut album. 

He eventually shed his band in favor of an acoustic guitar to perform “Cherry Wine” alone center stage. A haunting song about domestic abuse, the setting sun shrouded the audience and stage with light, a perfect juxtaposition with the song’s devastating subject matter. After the song, Hozier cut the tension by calling attention to someone in the crowd holding a flag that read “I ♡ DILFS,” which garnered laughter and uproarious cheers from the crowd. 

When he sang the TikTok-popular “Would That I,” the audience sang along the whole time, proving the song’s ability to outlive its virality. As Hozier belted the chorus, the audience participated, singing perfectly on pitch. 

The crowd geared up for a treat when “Almost (Sweet Music)” began to play. Hozier let each member of his band take turns soloing, introducing them all by name and allowing them their moment of praise and applause from the audience. Performances like his serve as a reminder of why Austin takes the title of live music capital of the world. 

Before his last song, Hozier said to the crowd, “ACL, this has been an absolute pleasure, it’s been an absolute joy to spend this time with you. … I’d love to hear you on this one,” before launching right into his biggest hit to date, “Take Me to Church.” During the song’s bridge, Hozier descended from the stage and approached the barricade. He approached a fan with a Pride flag and brought it back on stage with him, draping it over his mic stand, a strong final message to close out his Sunday performance.