Soccer player Charlotte Bluemel thrives on the Forty Acres despite lack of high school soccer in Germany

Courtesy of Texas Athletics

Texas soccer’s junior defender Charlotte Bluemel’s transition from Germany to Austin was as seamless as possible, thanks to the development system she grew up with.

While it varies from country to country, the biggest difference in European soccer development, in comparison to America, is that players do not play a form of high school soccer. Their development is typically through regional clubs and academies.

“My teammates definitely played high school soccer,” Bluemel said. “But they also played club soccer, which from my understanding, I think they did both. I’ve never played with my high school team. That’s not a thing (in Germany).”

Bluemel instead worked her way through regional club teams in Germany, gaining the experiences that make her the player she is today. 

“I grew up playing with boys,” Bluemel said. “I think that definitely helped. I think it wasn’t until I was 16 probably that I played with women. You need to find alternative solutions on the field to compete and win, and I think that has definitely been something that helped me in my playing style to be quick on the ball.” 

Bluemel then moved from the Under-17 team of FSV Gutersloh 2009 to their full women’s team, where she had to once again adapt to the environment she was thrown in. At 17, she was playing with older players at one of the highest levels in Germany. She was surrounded by physicality on the field and maturity off it.

“I definitely had to learn to toughen up at a pretty early age,” Bluemel said.

Bluemel then took over a starting role at only 17, crediting her role model’s guidance as the reason why she was comfortable taking over as a leader at a young age and the maturity she had coming to UT.

“Coming here, I definitely think the fact that I’ve been playing against girls that are older has helped me to be a stronger person on the fields and then also be a way mature person off the field,” Bluemel said.

On the Forty Acres, Bluemel has put it all together. The combined speed and strength she gained in her unique development have helped her adapt to a different play-style in America.

“That’s been something I realized when we played other teams,” Bluemel said. “The play of soccer is just more direct and focused on speed and athleticism. Overseas, especially in Europe, they focus a lot on tactical and technical things.”

Due to injuries, Bluemel had to miss her first two seasons with the Longhorns completely and was only able to feature in three games the season after, contributing to three shutouts.

However, this season she has featured in eight games, starting in three. Within those eight games, she helped the defense only concede five goals and keep six clean sheets, including a 4-0 win against Big 12 opponent Baylor.

Regardless of the challenges Bluemel faces on the field or otherwise, her experiences in Germany have prepared her to take on any challenge.