STEM students should utilize the Bridging Disciplines Programs

Rose Park

While college is branded as a time for self-exploration and freedom, students often forgo that sense of discovery in their education. Oftentimes, students — especially STEM majors — enter UT with an idealized path in mind that disregards other options.  

The Bridging Disciplines Programs aim to reframe this mindset by allowing students of all majors to obtain a certificate that provides an in-depth education on a variety of topics. Science, technology, engineering and math students should take advantage of the interdisciplinary BDP option, as this multifaceted education can broaden undergraduates’ critical thinking skills, understanding of the world and overall knowledge of academic topics. 

Christine Julien, assistant dean for diversity, equity and inclusion in the Cockrell School of Engineering and professor of electrical and computer engineering, also serves as a faculty advisor for the BDP Smart Cities initiative. 

“You’re looking at the same set of problems, but you’re taking a different lens on (it). That helps the growth and awareness of different perspectives on a problem,” Julien said.

While all students can benefit from a diverse education, STEM students are particularly suited for the BDP. Rather than viewing problems through analytical and numerical lenses, students are forced to examine social and interpersonal factors. 

Building these skills is crucial upon graduation from college and entry into the real world. In addition to technical knowledge, most current jobs seek a variety of interpersonal skills such as conflict resolution, team collaboration and fit with company culture. Yet, these skills cannot purely be developed through STEM classes. 

Junior Jodie Pham was originally a biochemistry major but later added a minor in law, justice and society and a second major in sociology. 

“I added (a minor in law, justice and society) because this was the time when a lot of political upheaval was occurring, and I wanted to be a well-informed American citizen,” Pham said. “It’s hard to apply molecular biology and organic chemistry to day-to-day problems that are affecting so many people.” 

STEM students may dismiss an understanding of society and our world to focus on seemingly more pressing, degree-related subjects, like science and math. Some may argue that the difficulty of their classes does not provide room for extra work in an unrelated field. However, the BDP program allows students to gain credits throughout their time at UT, so they don’t feel overwhelmed.  

Furthermore, interdisciplinary education and perspective is a crucial aspect of being equipped for modern society. One specialized skill is not enough anymore.

As young college students experiencing life independently for the first time, it’s easy to make big decisions without properly thinking them through. However, to truly choose the best path for themselves, STEM majors must consider fields other than their own with open minds. Doing so will prevent them from staying set on a path that may be the wrong one in the future. 

By pursuing a BDP, students can learn more about themselves, appreciate the options available to them and gain more marketable skills. 

The BDP offers 16 certificate areas to choose from. This variety accounts for the range of interests students may have and offers something for everyone, regardless of major. STEM students should look into these options and take advantage of these resources to expand their worldview and skills. 

Reddy is a sophomore mechanical engineering and Plan II major from Houston, Texas.