Texas women’s soccer finishes regular season play with a win on senior night

Senior+defender+Lauren+Lapomarda+makes+a+play+to+stop+a+TCU+player+from+advancing+on+the+field+on+October+21%2C+2023+at+Mike+Myers+stadium+and+Soccer+Field.+
William Whitworth
Senior defender Lauren Lapomarda makes a play to stop a TCU player from advancing on the field on October 21, 2023 at Mike Myers stadium and Soccer Field.

Texas women’s soccer grabbed a steady 4-2 win against TCU in the Big 12 regular season finale at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas.

Junior midfielder Lexi Missimo started off the action with a goal assisted by junior midfielders Jilly Shimkin and Ashlyn Miller in just the sixth minute of the match. This goal by Missimo marked her 20th of the season.

A stolen ball taken all the way down the field by a TCU defender was timed perfectly by junior goalkeeper Mia Justus.

The Horned Frogs started leaning on Texas’ defense near the end of the first half. TCU was able to keep the ball in Longhorn territory, getting a good look at the goal, but having the ball kicked away.

Justus came up with another huge save in the 25th minute, where she leaped to swat the ball out of bounds and prevented TCU from scoring.

Both teams had taken a fair amount of shots at this point of the game, the Horned Frogs with eight shots and Texas with 11.

Sophomore TCU forward Seven Castain dribbled the ball deep into the Longhorn’s side of the pitch. Castain attempted a quick shot which Justus once again blocked. Castain quickly recovered the ball and scored, putting the Horned Frogs on the board.

Soon after, TCU scored again off of a sideline shot that bounced off Justus and was kicked into the net by Horn Frog graduate student midfielder Gracie Brain, giving TCU a quick 2-1 lead heading into the second half.

Shimkin started the second period with a sharp kick that nearly missed the goal, flying just over the post and out of bounds.

Just moments later, Miller came up with a huge assist to forward Holly Ward who scored a goal off a header, tying the game at two a piece.

The Horned Frogs continued to play aggressively, attacking the ball with every opportunity they had and keeping Justus busy at the goal line.

Justus came up with her third big time save of the match, tipping a shot that flew just over the goal, keeping the score tied.

Ward would score her second goal off an assist by Shimkin, giving the Longhorns a 3-2 lead in the 73rd minute of the match.

Just over 10 minutes later, junior forward Trinity Byars kicked the ball downfield to midfielder Olivia Ahern, who scored a dagger goal for the Longhorns and stretched the lead 4-2.

The game ended with Texas coming up on top. The Longhorns’s seniors were honored after the game during senior night.

Ward had herself a night with two goals, four shots and two shots on goal. Justus also showed out, facing 23 shots and racking up eight saves for the night.

The Longhorns will now enter the Big 12 Tournament starting Oct. 28 with details still to be announced.