Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 9

Lorianne Willett
Running back Jonathon Brooks during Texas’ game against Oklahoma on Oct. 7, 2023.

1. Oklahoma Sooners

No. 6-ranked Oklahoma is the only remaining undefeated Big 12 team left this year after holding off UCF 31-29 this past weekend. Quarterback Dillon Gabriel’s play has been a big reason for the Sooners’ success so far this season. The Heisman Trophy hopeful has thrown for 2,131 yards and 19 touchdowns along with five rushing touchdowns. Oklahoma will travel to Lawrence on Saturday to take on the Kansas Jayhawks as they look to remain on top of the conference.  

2. Texas Longhorns

Despite almost surrendering a 21-0 lead, No. 7 Texas willed its way over the finish line with a 31-24 victory over the Houston Cougars. The win came with a price, however, as quarterback Quinn Ewers left the game with a shoulder injury and is expected to be out for a few weeks. In the meantime, the keys to the offense will be handed over to redshirt freshman Maalik Murphy. Look for the running game and defense to step up this week against BYU.     

3. Kansas State Wildcats

The Wildcats looked impressive in their dismantling of TCU as they rushed for 343 yards in the 41-3 win. Four different players ran for over 60 yards as the Big 12’s best rushing attack continued to do what it does best. Head coach Chris Klieman’s two-quarterback system has garnered immediate results so far with Will Howard and Avery Johnson’s games complimenting each other well.

4. Oklahoma State Cowboys

After losing to South Alabama 33-7 at home, Oklahoma State was written off by many. Enter running back Ollie Gordon II, who has been nothing short of phenomenal. After not playing in the first two games, Gordon has sparked life in the OSU offense by running for a combined 707 yards in the last four games. If the passing game finds some consistency, the Cowboys’ final matchup with Oklahoma will get a whole lot more interesting.

5. Iowa State Cyclones

Just like Oklahoma State, the Cyclones were left for dead after starting the season 1–2 with a loss to Ohio. Nonetheless, Iowa State has clawed their way back into the conference race in large part due to their defense, which ranks first in the Big 12 in total yards allowed. Defensive backs Beau Freyler and Jeremiah Cooper lead a daunting secondary that has 12 interceptions in seven games. With the offense finding its footing, Matt Campbell’s team is looking scarier each week.     

6. Kansas Jayhawks

Kansas is coming off a bye week after losing a tough game to Oklahoma State. The Jayhawks, just like last year, are exceeding expectations despite not having the Big 12 Preseason Offensive Player of the Year quarterback Jalon Daniels. Kansas will look to shock the world as they host No. 6 Oklahoma, a team they have not beaten since 1997.

7. BYU Cougars

A week after giving up 37 points to TCU, BYU turned around and forced five turnovers in a 27-14 win against Texas Tech. The Cougars have been the best conference newcomer so far this season, earning more Big 12 wins at this point in the season than the other three schools combined. BYU will look to build off the momentum as they travel to Austin to face the No. 7 Texas Longhorns.

8. West Virginia Mountaineers

Neal Brown’s Mountaineers started their 2023 campaign off well at 4–1, but have suffered back-to-back losses in consecutive weeks, including giving up a last-second Hail Mary to Houston. They will look to right the ship behind the rushing duo of quarterback Garrett Greene and running back CJ Donaldson against UCF.

9. TCU Horned Frogs

A year after making the College Football Playoff national championship game, TCU sits at 4–4. The Horned Frogs have lost three of their last four games as injuries and inconsistencies on both sides of the ball have hampered their season. They have a much needed bye week to heal up and fix their mistakes as they look to finish the year strong.     

10. Texas Tech Red Raiders

Texas Tech is another team that has underwhelmed this season. The Red Raiders have been decimated by quarterback injuries, eliminating their ability to find a groove in the passing game. On the bright side, running back Tahj Brooks has run for 891 yards and six touchdowns.  

11. Baylor Bears

The good news is that Baylor has two Big 12 wins. The bad news is that the teams they have beaten are a combined 0–8 in conference games. With that being said, the Bears are finding ways to win in what will be a fight for bowl eligibility. 

12. Houston Cougars

The Cougars gave it all they had this past Saturday as they almost took down No. 7 Texas in a 31-24 nailbiter. Quarterback Donovan Smith was phenomenal, throwing for 378 yards and three touchdowns after being down 21 points early. If Houston can play like they did in the final three quarters, they will give any team they face a promising fight.

13. UCF Knights

UCF almost shocked the world against No. 6 Oklahoma before falling 31-29 after the Knights failed a two-point conversion with 1:16 left in the game. Wide receiver Javon Baker hauled in two touchdowns from John Rhys Plumlee in the near upset. The Knights will look for their first ever Big 12 win as they take on West Virginia on Saturday.

14. Cincinnati Bearcats

In 2021, Cincinnati made the College Football Playoff. Two years later, the Bearcats sit 2–5 and are in the midst of a five-game losing streak. Even with everything that has gone wrong, its defense is third in the Big 12 in total defense.