Four day trip ideas near UT

Clara Webb

With the homestretch of the semester approaching, the seemingly countless exams and assignments can grow overwhelming. For Longhorns looking to escape the hustle and bustle of UT, The Daily Texan compiled a list of day trips to fuel their next day-off adventure.

Fredericksburg

Founded in 1846 by German immigrants, Fredericksburg, TX, offers a charming blend of Texan and German culture. Located about 80 miles west of campus, the small city sprawls with activity, from the artsy shopping scene along Main Street to the wide variety of German restaurants. The holidays in Fredericksburg are especially festive, featuring ice skating, a nightly lighting of the Marktplatz and a German Christmas pyramid. In the springtime, check out the bounteous array of wildflowers at Wildseed Farms or the fresh produce at Fredericksburg Farmers Market.

San Marcos

Just over 30 miles south on I-35 lies San Marcos, TX, home of Texas State University and the 72-degree San Marcos River. In the warmer months, try a leisurely river float with Texas State Tubes, which offers a rideshare option to and from Austin. Other interactive ways to encounter the expansive river wildlife include the Clear Kayak Sunset and Glow Tour or the Meadows Center Glass Bottom Boat Tour, which both operate year-round. For a one-of-a-kind experience, take a tour with Wonder World Cave and Adventure Park to view the only earthquake-formed cave in America. For an added bonus, navigate the city with Spin, a bike and scooter share system.

Wimberley 

A nature lover’s haven, Wimberley, TX, supplies a mix of exhilarating and relaxing outdoor experiences. Situated about 40 miles southwest of campus, Wimberley boasts multiple swimming areas, including the free and arboraceous Blue Hole Regional Park and the famous 140-foot-deep swimming hole, Jacob’s Well. For a scenic view of the Texas Hill Country, visitors can hike 218 rock steps to the top of Old Baldy Park or soar through the sky with Wimberley Zipline Adventures. Before heading back to campus, grab a quick bite at The Shady Llama, equipped with a bar and food truck, free-range llamas and donkeys and a picturesque sunset view.

Waco

Sitting nearly 100 miles up I-35, Waco, TX, provides a diverse array of countless activities, ranging from the touristy Magnolia Market and Dr Pepper Museum to the quaint shopping scene of Spice Village. Waco, a college town itself, houses many popular student hotspots, such as the vibrant scene of The Melody Ranch, the largest dancehall in Central Texas. Adjacent to the Brazos River lies Cameron Park Zoo, complete with natural vegetation, water features and over 1,700 animals. Accessible by bus transportation, Waco proves convenient and fun-filled.