‘We get to share a little piece of ourselves with other people’: Students, alumni come together to celebrate Día de los Muertos

Charlotte Keene
The Ofrenda at the Mexican American Culture Committee’s Día de los Muertos event in the WCP Ballroom on Nov. 2, 2023.

Traditional Mexican music filled the evening air as dozens of students, alumni and other visitors gathered in front of the Tower on Nov. 1 to attend Sigma Lambda Beta’s annual Día de los Muertos celebration.

Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is a holiday largely celebrated by people of Mexican descent. The holiday commemorates the lives of loved ones who died. This is done through the building of altars, known as ofrendas, decorated with gifts, candles and calaveras, small edible or decorative skulls. People also celebrate by visiting their resting places to leave gifts.

Carlos Hernandez, a corporate communications senior and vice president of one of the University’s Latino-based fraternity chapters, Sigma Lambda Beta, said his fraternity prides itself on celebrating the holiday since the fraternity’s creation in 1996 — making this event their 27th annual celebration.

“It brings a little bit of home here on campus,” Hernandez said. “Furthermore, it allows us to show that Latinos (are) here at UT, we’re present, and it’s our home as much as anybody else’s.”

Hernandez, his fraternity and a few other Latino campus organizations invited guests for a night of food, refreshments, music, games and performances by the Texas Folklorico Dance Company.

“I hope we do this forever and that there’s not a year we miss it,” Hernandez said. “I want it to continue that way and even pick up new traditions.”

Johana Soileau, a government and sociology junior and member of Kappa Delta Chi, a Latina-founded sorority, said the representation and opportunity to find a shared community to celebrate lost loved ones is comforting.

“I love seeing people come and support, even if they’re not of Mexican heritage,” Soileau said. “We get to share a little piece of ourselves with other people, and they carry it with them around campus.”

Soileau and other guests stood near the steps of the Main Building, where a colorful ofrenda decorated with candles, flowers and framed photos of deceased loved ones was located. This year’s ofrenda carried a more profound meaning as one of the frames held a photograph of John Gonzales, one of the 26 founding members of Sigma Lambda Beta at UT, who passed away in September. 

“He was one of the best brothers that could have ever been part of the fraternity,” said Jonathan Hernandez, an alumnus of the fraternity and University. “The fact that we get to remember him here today, it’s just wonderful.”