Hindu on the Forty Acres – navigating challenges and seeking equality

Schuyler Burke

Editor’s note: This column was submitted to the Texan by a member of the UT community.

In the West, the intricate tapestry of religions and faiths often overlooks Hinduism, relegating it to the periphery of religious discussions. Overshadowed by more prominent religious traditions, Hinduism is frequently shrouded in obscurity, obscured by stereotypes perpetuated by Western media. This distance from the spotlight perpetuates misinformation, leaving Hinduism vulnerable to misunderstanding and misrepresentation. As Hindus, we often find ourselves on the defensive, combating the pervasive stereotypes of “cow, caste, chakra” Hinduism. These stereotypes have their roots in a colonial legacy, a remnant of British attempts to tarnish Hinduism’s image by portraying it as barbaric, backward and illogical, marred by superstition and social evils. These misrepresentations continue to cast a long shadow over the West’s perception of Hinduism.

While UT is a secular institution that allows freedom to practice Hinduism, there is a noticeable gap in the presence of Hinduism on campus compared to other religious groups despite our significant population. A striking example of this disparity is the absence of dedicated places of worship for Hindus on or near campus. Past initiatives, like the Vivekananda House, lacked sufficient campus support, standing in stark contrast to other religious communities that enjoy dedicated spaces for worship service and practice. Even the available “spaces” on campus often have strict rules against open flames, restricting Hindu worship that requires lighting lamps, candles and incense. Furthermore, the education and information people receive about Hinduism seldom come from the Hindu perspective but rather are sourced from a colonial understanding driven by Eurocentric values. Hinduism is not on the same playing field as other religions but is, at best, lumped together with Buddhism and other “foreign Eastern beliefs,” and at worst, categorized among religious systems of dead civilizations ready to be dissected and inspected under a microscope by those lacking sensitivity or respect for the tradition.

For instance, this semester, the Religious Studies department offers only two courses that focus on Asiatic religions, neither of which concentrate on Hinduism specifically. This is further highlighted by the upper-level division Sanskrit course taught on Dharmashastras or Hindu jurisprudence, which isn’t taught via the traditional dictated practices required of content this significant. Hinduism, its sacred texts and the Sanskrit language are not just subjects of academic study; they are considered sacred and divine, with established traditions of procedures and practices. These traditions emphasize the importance of respect, initiation by an expert and faithful adherence to practices preserved for millennia. Unfortunately, this respect for tradition is often lacking on the Forty Acres. Hinduism is treated as an artifact to be dissected rather than a living tradition to be understood and respected.

All we want is equal treatment, a level of dignity and the same care and respect for our practices and traditions afforded to other mainstream religions. In moving forward, we must advocate for a more inclusive and nuanced understanding of Hinduism in academic settings and the UT community. This should go beyond mere tolerance and include implementing inclusive policies, fostering open dialogue, raising awareness and encouraging cultural sensitivity on our campus. Change is gradual, and we do not expect these systems to be modified overnight. However, together, we can work towards a future where Hinduism is celebrated for its diversity and depth rather than marginalized by stereotypes and misconceptions. Let us ensure that Hinduism, often the wallflower of our campus’s religious landscape, gets its rightful position of understanding and respect at UT.

Karunakaran is a accounting sophomore from Houston, TX