The Daily Texan’s Friendsgiving playlist

Julieta Cruz

Thanksgiving break means traveling home with new friends and allowing them to meet old ones. The colliding of worlds marked by deep conversations, inside jokes and home-cooked meals happens effortlessly at Friendsgiving parties, and to complement these special moments, The Daily Texan compiled a list of tracks for the background of any Friendsgiving gathering.

“It’s Too Late” by Carole King

The low-key, coffee shop quality of “It’s Too Late” allows everyone time to sit down for dinner with drinks and an array of fresh food. King sings of looking toward the future while appreciating the past, bringing a sense of balance to the party.

“Home” by Phillip Phillips

Phillips’ simple upbeat melody and repetition of the line, “Just know you’re not alone,” encapsulates nostalgia in “Home.” Gathering friends with different backgrounds around the table with this song immediately creates a sense of familiarity, making for an intimate dinner party.

“Someone New” by Hozier

Hozier’s belting vocals boost a party’s mood and encourage fun and laughter. Sometimes, making new friends can prove challenging, but Hozier’s upbeat tune makes connecting with others easy.

“Stick Season” by Noah Kahan

“Stick Season” amplifies the rustic folksy vibes every Thanksgiving season brings. The song title marks change, alluding to the time after leaves fall and before snow flurries down. At a party, the song may come to represent when loved ones transition from strangers to friends.

“When We Were Young” by Adele

Reminiscing about favorite childhood moments while catching up on new adventures provides for a tricky balance at Friendsgiving. Adele’s dramatic vocals complement missed moments and shared stories, providing a sense of sadness about growing up.

“cardigan” by Taylor Swift

From first kiss to first heartbreak, “cardigan” proves that no matter how painful, with time, everything simply becomes a memory. The song’s raw honesty provides the perfect tune for deep discussions late into the night.

“Vienna” by Billy Joel

As the night winds down, excited reminiscing and intimate heart-to-hearts become sleepy eyes and delusional ramblings. “Vienna,” the perfect song for parting ways with prolonged hugs, reminds everyone to stop and smell the roses once in a while and not rush through life, as growing up and growing old happens in the blink of an eye. 

“Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac

Time flies by faster than anyone expects. Suddenly, the first Friendsgiving party turns into the fourth, with more to look forward to in the future. The year in between may bring changes and challenges, but the party remains a constant. “Landslide” provides the perfect end to a memorable night by lacing up years of memories with a neat bow.