Notes From the Opponent: TCU

The Daily Texan spoke with TCU 360 sports editor Ethan Love to get his thoughts on this weekend’s matchup. 

DT: What do you think causes real problems for Texas on both sides of the ball?

EL: I’m gonna say Jared Wiley on offense because not only was he at Texas, so this is kind of personal for him, but I think he’s definitely our most dynamic pass catcher and he could definitely cause some problems on offense. On defense, I really think Bud Clark, our safety, is gonna have a big play. Especially with Maalik throwing two picks last week. I think he might be able to get more.

DT: What does TCU have to focus on to stop this Texas offense from being so dynamic?

EL: I think really what they need to do is just go out and execute. Last year, Joe Gillespie, our defensive coordinator, really called a great game in Austin. Last year, Bijan was held to I think  29 yards rushing. So as long as he can dial up a game plan like that, and our defense can actually go out and execute, I think that can stymie the offense a little bit.

DT: Can you talk to me about your confidence in the offensive line’s ability to stop this Texas pass rush?

EL: I kind of say that there are parts of our offensive line that I think are really good. Andrew Coker is good. Brandon Coleman is very good. There also are a lot of rotational guys in there that I think might be a bit of an easier matchup for the Texas defensive line. So I do think that the Texas pass rush as long as they’re on their A-game, I think they should be able to get home.

DT: Can you give me one unit on each side of the ball that you believe is the strongest for TCU?

EL: I’ll say for the offense I think the receiving room is definitely the strongest. We have a recent transfer, JP Richardson, from Oklahoma State, who’s good. JoJo Earle from Alabama had his best game last week. Savion Williams is a super talented receiver that’s ready to break out at any point. I would say wide receivers are really deep. On the defensive side of the ball, if I had to give one position group, I’d say the linebackers with Johnny Hodges and Jamoi Hodge. They started for us last year when we had that run, and they’re back again.

DT: What is it going to take for TCU to come out with an upset on Saturday?

EL: It’s gonna take everyone, all 11 guys on each side of the ball. Joe Gillespie has to get back to what he did last year when he held his Texas offense to 10 points. He’s gonna have to dial that up again and the guys are going to have to go out and execute. For the offense, they can’t turn the ball over. Their turnover margin this year is negative six. Last week, timed interceptions against Texas Tech proved to be the difference in the game. They really couldn’t come back. As long as the offense does not turn the ball over, and the defense can execute like they did last year against Texas. Griffin Kell, he’s 11-for-18 this year, which is not great. If he can make his kicks, I think we can win the game. A lot has to go right.