‘We will never let you die!’: Protesters march at Texas Capitol, calling for ceasefire in Palestine, support for Yemen

Charlotte Keene
A child chants with the crowd at the “All out for Palestine and Yemen” protest at the Capitol on Jan. 21, 2024.

An estimated crowd of 250 people gathered outside the Texas Capitol chanting “Gaza, Gaza don’t you cry, we will never let you die,” on Sunday to advocate for an end to the United States’ aid to Israel in the siege of the Gaza Strip, to call for a ceasefire in Palestine and to oppose the recent bombings in Yemen. 

The Palestine Solidarity Committee organized the protest, and the Austin chapter of Jewish Voices for Peace and Students for a Democratic Society joined them. Protesters initially gathered in front of the Capitol building, despite the rain and cold. They carried signs, banners and flags and wore masks and keffiyehs, traditional headdresses worn in the Middle East. 

“It is cold and rainy today, but the fire of resistance is deep in our hearts,” a speaker at the protest said. 

Protesters chanted “No justice, no peace,” and held signs reading “Free Palestine” and “U.S. hands off of Yemen.” 

Houthi rebels in Yemen launched missile strikes on civilian ships earlier this month to prevent supplies from entering the Gaza Strip. They said their attacks were in support of the Palestinians. U.S. and British forces used weapons against targets in Yemen in retaliation to the Houthi rebels.

Mafer, a biochemistry junior who asked to have his last name omitted for safety purposes, said he helped organize the protest in response to the recent Yemen bombings.

“Protesting outside the Texas Capitol (is important). (They) knows we’re here, they know that when we come here, we try to block roads (and) cause disruption,” Mafer, a member of the Committee, said. “It lets them know that we are not giving up (on a ceasefire). We’re going to keep coming out here as many times as it takes until Palestine is free.”

A march began around 3:30 p.m., with an estimated 10 state trooper vehicles following closely behind to block traffic and monitor the attendees. 

Law enforcement officers denied requests for official comment. 

Accounting senior Marcus On, a protester who marched alongside the crowd, said he learned about the protest on Instagram.

“It’s really important (that we’re) heard,” On said. “A lot of our media cycle is fast-paced and we forget what happens. Protesting is a form of helping us remember what’s important and revitalizing it.”

Amman, a speaker who marched in front of the crowd, loudly expressed her frustration with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott with her megaphone and called for a ceasefire. She did not give her last name for safety purposes. 

“(Protesting) creates a sense of awareness and community,” UT alumna Amman said. “There are people on the sidelines (observing), … and (because of protests), they research and learn about (Palestine).”

Eventually, protesters circled back to the Capitol, still chanting “Free, free Palestine!” and “If we don’t get (justice), shut it down.”

“We want to keep this momentum going,” a speaker said during the protest’s closing remarks. “We want to channel it towards the ongoing fight for justice, return and liberation (of Palestine).”