Texas softball bullpen shines in 3-2 win against UCLA

Daniel Deluna

Texas softball started their season with a bang and a 2-0 record. 

After a run-rule and a five-inning no-hitter 19-0 win against San Diego earlier in the day, No. 8/5 Texas softball took down No. 10/8 UCLA with a 3-2 win. 

“To be in this environment against that kind of pressure playing one of the top teams in the country and to hang on to a one-run win, tonight was huge for us,” Head Coach Mike White said. “That really helps with confidence.”

White might be creating a new tradition for the Longhorns: for the second consecutive season, a true freshman has started at the pitching mound against a top-10-ranked opponent in the second game of the season. 

Teagan Kavan took the mound for her first career start in the spotlight of being on national television against UCLA. Last year, sophomore right-hand pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez started against Northwestern.

The 6-foot West Des Moines native had early success before coming to Texas. Kavan was the youngest of 32 athletes invited to try out for the 2021 USA Softball U19 Women’s National Team and was a highly sought-after recruit. 

For five innings, Kavan held the Bruins scoreless and threw five strikeouts. The Longhorns took a three-run lead in that time, building momentum off of a solo home run by sophomore catcher Reese Atwood. 

“I thought Teagan (Kavan) had the mental side of a veteran (against UCLA) tonight,” Atwood said. “She went out there and pitched so well, even though she’s a freshman. It’s really awesome to see her succeed like that.”

Kavan lost her momentum in the bottom of the sixth inning and the Bruins tried to take advantage. After a batter was hit by a pitch, a single, and a walk, the bases were loaded with no outs. After reaching a full count, Kavan threw a ball and allowed a run on a walk. 

But Gutierrez, a young pitcher who is no stranger to pressure, was ready to go in. With Gutierrez on the mound, UCLA only scored one run, falling just short of tying the game. 

The three quick outs at the bottom of the sixth showcased the defensive ability to work under pressure. The run scored on Gutierrez also led to an out at second base and two ground outs brought the inning to a close.

With just twelve pitches, Gutierrez closed out the game for her fourth career save. 

“We didn’t want to leave tonight looking at the wins and losses, but, obviously, finishing the day with two wins is awesome,” White said. 

Texas faces both San Diego and UCLA again on Saturday in the Stacy Winsberg Memorial Tournament.