Where to celebrate Black History Month in Austin

Breyonna Mitchell

During Black History Month, the annual observance honoring Black history in the U.S., Austin hosts events ranging from educational panels to entertainment festivities. The Daily Texan curated a list of free events happening in and around Austin to celebrate.

Black History Month Film Series5125 Convict Hill Rd

The Hampton Branch at Oak Hill Library celebrates Black History Month with a film series that showcases the Black experience and Black excellence. On Thursday evenings for the remainder of February, the library will feature the films “Selma,” “Harriet” and “Respect” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

E.A.S.E 2324 E. Cesar Chavez St

On Feb. 17 from 12 to 4 p.m., ATX Artist Social and Visuals by Ricky presents “E.A.S.E”: Embracing All Shades Everywhere. In collaboration with Dope Creatives Market and Raasin In The Sun, the exhibition displays a cultural immersion that explores the themes of diversity, resilience and creativity in Black culture.

Black Future Month Market912 E. 11th St

From 12 to 4 p.m. on Feb. 24, Black Makers Market will feature clothing, artwork and herbal products from more than 40 Black-owned businesses. The event will take place at the African American Cultural and Heritage Facility and will include nonprofit guest speakers, giveaways and raffles.

A Snapshot of Black Education in AustinCissy McDaniel Parker Conference Room (SZB 2.624)

The College of Education will host a discussion panel on Feb. 27 at noon that provides a platform for speakers to share their voice and perspective on the educational realm influencing Austin’s Black community. The conversation, moderated by Dr. Allison Skerrett, will feature students, educators and community leaders. Lunch will be provided but spaces are limited, so the event recommends registration.

Black History Month CookoutSan Jacinto Hall Multipurpose Room (MPR)

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 29, University Housing and Dining, in collaboration with other university partners, will host a campus-wide event featuring live music and southern food staples to honor and celebrate the Black community at UT.

The Black Beauty Effect Moody College Auditorium (DMC 2.106)

On Feb. 29, Moody College will hold a special screening of the Netflix docuseries “The Black Beauty Effect,” airing episode 2, “The Skin Effect” at 7 p.m. Following the screening, RTF professor Adrien Sebro will moderate a discussion with panelists Andrea Lewis, Dr. Adewole Adamson, CJ Faison and Jersey Robinson about the show.