Longhorn Car Club: no car required

Longhorn+Car+Club+meets+at+a+parking+garage+rooftop+in+Austin%2C+Texas+on+Feb.+17%2C+2024.+
Daniel Guel
Longhorn Car Club meets at a parking garage rooftop in Austin, Texas on Feb. 17, 2024.

A white Lamborghini, a couple of beefed-up Mustangs and an ordinary Toyota Corolla made for just a few of the cars that rolled through Austin’s hill country this Saturday before arriving atop a parking garage with a scenic view of downtown’s skyline.

A chance to talk specs and modifications and show off sleek rides, the meetup acted as just one of many events organized by The Longhorn Car Club, a student-run organization for car enthusiasts. Throwing events like car meets, workshops and more, LCC creates a sociable and diverse space for students to interact with their shared interests.

LCC commonly tables on Speedway with some of the group’s fanciest cars parked in front of Gregory Gym. However, any student can join the club and isn’t required to own a nice car or one at all, said Rafay Aziz, mechanical engineering junior and LCC campus relations officer. Having a community to further explore an interest in cars serves as the club’s primary mission, Aziz said. 

“(Students) may not have a car, and it’s okay,” Aziz said. “We have these cars out as an eye-catcher to get your attention, and then from there … if you’ve always had a passion, or maybe would have a passion for cars, that’s what we’re here for.”

Averie Piatt, business senior and LCC president said LCC’s car meets foster a more welcoming environment than a public meeting not associated with the University because the LCC community revolves around talking about their cars. 

“I’ve been to the Austin meets and I don’t go up to random people and ask them about their car because it’s just too many people. It’s not as social,” Piatt said. “When (LCC) meet(s), it’s to talk to people and to learn about their cars. It’s more of (an) inviting environment.” 

Beyond car meets, the club hosts cruises, social events and workshops that invite members to help work on someone from the club’s car. Georgia Fuchs, history and classics junior and LCC media officer, said the welcoming attitude and chance to get hands-on learning while attending her first workshop represented her LCC experience.

“One of our friends wanted to install coilovers, which is basically a part of the suspension of your car that affects the rideability of your vehicle,” Fuchs said. “I didn’t know anything about that, but as soon as I came out like ‘Hey guys my name is Georgia I joined last week,’ and people were immediately so friendly like ‘Oh, you want to help us with this? We can teach you.’ It’s immediately a very inviting environment for a total beginner.”

For Piatt, the community of car enthusiasts that make up LCC brought her not only cars to adore and mechanical knowledge but also a community that helped her connect with people from different majors, cultures and backgrounds. She attributed this diversity to the club’s openness to any student regardless of their major and lack of strict requirements like other organizations she’s in. 

“I came from a small town an hour north of (Austin),” Piatt said. “I grew up in this little bubble, then joined this club, (and) I was so exposed to many different cultures and paths. It’s really broadened how I think and what I do.”