Board of Regents approve negotiations for a new undergraduate housing complex

Atahan Koksoy
The UT Tower viewed from the Turtle Pond on October 6, 2023.

The University of Texas System Board of Regents authorized the University to negotiate  construction of the first on-campus housing complex in nearly 20 years on Thursday.

The new housing complex, meant for undergraduate students, will be constructed at 2610 Whitis Avenue, where Whitis Court is currently located. The complex will have approximately 1,000 student beds according to the meeting agenda. 

This will be the first on-campus dorm built since the construction of the Almetris Duren Residence Hall in 2007. According to the University’s 2021-2022 common data set, about 61% of first time college freshmen lived in University-affiliated housing. The 2023-2024 school year marked the largest number of enrolled first time college freshmen, along with an overall increase in enrollment

The Thursday decision allows the University to enter a lease agreement with the support of the 2033 Higher Education Development Foundation, a nonprofit providing strategic advice for UT. The foundation will enter a development contract with Balfour Beatty Campus Solutions, LLC.