How to celebrate the eclipse

Angela John

On Monday, April 8, Central Texans will have a front-row seat to a total solar eclipse. People and places around Austin prepare celebrations for the rare occurrence. With so many events going on, it’s hard to choose where to go. The Daily Texan compiled a list of how to celebrate this eclipse to avoid missing the once-in-a-lifetime event. 

Leading up to the day 

With preliminary events hosted by NASA, students don’t have to wait until Monday to celebrate the occasion. At Austin Nature & Science Center, free pre-eclipse activities begin on Saturday and end on Sunday. The center features a NASA Mars exhibit with Mars rover activities and other displays. Additionally, a free weekend of eclipse activities starts on Friday at Austin Central Library. Starring NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, visitors can learn about the Sun, observe science displays and pick up eclipse glasses. The library will also host a live viewing of the Sun through their special solar telescope on the day of the eclipse. 

On-campus with Total Eclipse of the Horns

According to UT News, the University partnered with Austin Parks and Recreation to expand viewing opportunities for locals. Across the Forty Acres, 16 Sun Spots, or eclipse-viewing locations, will open at 11 a.m. on eclipse day. At these locations, students and Austin residents can pick up eclipse glasses and enjoy various activities until 3 p.m. The events include an art display from UT students, faculty and staff, a student music showcase on the Main Mall and an 80s-inspired set from artist Primo the Alien on the G. B. Dealey Center for New Media lawn. The website features further details about the activities and where to go. 

Off-campus events 

With the suspension of classes and University operations during the eclipse, students can find many events and activities off-campus. If willing to spend some money, students can spend time surrounded by animals at the Eclipse Safari: A Celestial Adventure at Austin Zoo. With the purchase of a $35.90 ticket, they can experience wildlife encounters and participate in activities. Students can also view the eclipse from the water with the Solar Eclipse Paddle by Rowing Dock, which offers kayak, canoe or stand-up paddle board rentals. Prices vary depending on the amount of time and number of people, and it’s best to book in advance. Mozart’s Total Solar Eclipse Extravaganza also offers paddle board rentals in addition to their lakeside free event with live music, performances, food and drinks and a movie later that night. All around Austin, various locations host free events, and websites like Austin Public Library and Austin Parks and Recreation contain lists of more places. 

Accessible celebration

On campus, most Sun Spots are fully accessible with even grass surfaces and an accessible telescope viewing, with the exception of LBJ Lawn and Texas Tennis Center Lawn. LightSound sonification tools are available by reservation and an American Sign Language interpreter by request. All Sun Spots offer closed captioning, and there is more information on the University’s eclipse website. Off-campus, students can enjoy watching the eclipse from their homes with a live stream by the Conley-Guerrero Senior Activity Center