No. 4/5 Texas defeats Oklahoma 2-1, ties series 1-1

Sophomore+Viviana+Martinez+and+freshman+Kayden+Henry+reach+for+ball+during+game+against+Oklahoma+on+Friday.+
Sophie Pascal
Sophomore Viviana Martinez and freshman Kayden Henry reach for ball during game against Oklahoma on Friday.

Chants of “Texas Fight” fought those of “Boomer Sooner” as No. 4/5 Texas defeated No. 1 Oklahoma 2-1 at a sold out Red & Charline McCombs Field to even the series.

The Texas crowd erupted as sophomore shortstop Viviana Martinez doubled to bring junior utility Mia Scott home. After failing to score in the first three innings and letting Oklahoma score at the top of the first, Scott gave Texas the equalizer. 

The story repeated itself as the next player went on to hit. First baseman Katie Stewart  doubled to bring Martinez home. For the first time in the game, Texas led.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, Texas loaded the bases for the first time all night. Freshman pinch runner Adayah Wallace had replaced sophomore catcher Reese Atwood at first base and after freshman infield Vic Hunter was walked, Wallace advanced to second. Though Stewart managed to bring two more runs home with a single, the play went under review and was changed as Hunter had left the base early.

The bases were loaded again as freshman outfield Kayden Henry was walked in four pitches. At the end of the inning, all three were left on base.

The big winner of the game was sophomore pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez and the Longhorn outfield defense. 

“We obviously made some pretty huge plays there throughout the game,” Gutierrez said. “So definitely just trusting in my defense and in myself.”

Henry and sophomore outfielder Ashton Maloney backed Gutierrez up with crucial catches throughout the game to keep Oklahoma from scoring. 

“We were really good (defensively) today,” Texas head coach Mike White said. “(We) made some great plays. We were working hard. … I think the ladies can see that the hard work pays off, and especially in a big game like today.”

Texas kept its lead heading into the last inning. The Sooners soon got two players on base in true Red River Rivalry fashion. Freshman outfield Maya Bland ran home, but not before Atwood tagged her out to seal the win for the Longhorns. Again, the play went under review and the stadium went silent. The players looked at each other until the long review was over and they saw the official “Horns Win” on the scoreboard.

“It’s either this is it or gotta walk back in and get this last out, so we can continue the game and have the same energy that we had this entire game,” Henry said.

The once loud Boomer Sooner crowd could no longer be heard under the loud voices of “The Eyes of Texas.” The win snapped Oklahoma’s 40-game conference win streak.

“It’s an honor to have people celebrate so hard when they beat you,” Oklahoma head coach Patty Gasso said. “It means you’re doing something well.”

Texas and Oklahoma still have one game left in the now tied series, as the two teams will face each other on Sunday, April 7 at 1 p.m.