April festivals around Austin

Emma George

For Austin residents looking for festive fun this month, The Daily Texan compiled a list of April festivals to attend. 

Wonderful India Festival

This month-long celebration showcases India’s traditional music, dance and art forms, featuring local musicians, dancers, artists and performers offering an opportunity to experience India. Each week in April focuses on a particular theme, with Week One (April 4-7): Uplift & Celebration, Week Two (April 8-14): Healing & Meditation, Week Three (April 15-21): Transmission & The Next Generation and Week Four (April 22-28): Transcendence. 

Moontower Just For Laughs Comedy Festival

From April 10 to 21, the nation’s top touring and local comics perform a two-week lineup of stand-up, podcasts, parties and golf. A four-day Comedy Club Binge starts April 17, where over 100 comedians descend on downtown Austin at over ten venues. Their website contains more information about how to purchase tickets and badges.  

Fusebox Festival

From now until April 14, artists and audiences can gather for live performances, parties and conversations all over Austin. Fusebox Festival celebrates its 20th anniversary after a group of Austin-based artists launched the first event to facilitate an exchange of ideas across different art forms and geography to share live experiences while addressing civic issues.

ATX Asian Food Fest

Come hungry to the third annual Summer Kick-off ATX Asian Food Fest on April 13 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. The event includes entertainment, food from Noodle Alley, Creative Lane, “De” Bun Corner and Street Food and drinks with Tea Alley. The free admission event is open to families and pets. 

Squirrel Fest

On April 13 from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., Pease Park Conservancy hosts its annual Squirrel Fest, a celebration including movies, food, live music and activities such as bingo, friendship bracelets, painting and puppet shows. The Conservancy’s website contains more information about the festival and its merchandise featuring squirrels. 

ABC Kite Fest

On April 14 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Austinities can view one of Austin’s oldest traditions take flight. The festival, founded in 1929 and designed to foster creativity among children, is the country’s longest-running festival of its kind, according to its website. The festival includes the kite flying contest and showcase, as well as a children’s music concert called Mossfest, all included in the free admission event. 

Indie Meme Film Festival

From April 17 until April 21, Austinites can step into South Asian and Iranian independent cinema through in-person screenings, Q&As, mixers and filmmaker events. Established in 2013, Indie Meme LLC came from a passion for storytelling through film and a desire to make compelling independent films from South Asia accessible to a broader audience. This year, the festival brings over 25 films from over 13 countries representing more than 17 languages.