Bike to UT Day celebrates student cyclists’ contributions to more sustainable University

Manoo Sirivelu
Junior chemical engineering major Gaby Bastidas collects a free taco provided by Parking and Transportation Services outside the Perry-Castañeda Library during the Bike to UT Day event on April 16, 2024. Tacos and coffee were offered to the first 200 registered cyclists who showed up.

The University Parking and Transportation Services Department held Bike to UT Day on Tuesday to promote cycling and celebrate cyclists’ contribution to campus by reducing pollution and traffic congestion. 

Students had the opportunity to connect with local advocacy groups to gain awareness about resources and city-wide initiatives. Safe Streets Austin, a group advocating for the creation of protected bike lanes across the city, attended the event. 

“Today, we’ve been explaining our mission to students and explaining some of the campaigns that we’re working on that we think students will be excited about,” said Adam Greenfield, Safe Streets Austin advocacy director. “(Students) want walkability (and) bike-ability so it’s a good alignment for us to be here.”

The event also featured representatives from Bike UT, an organization that provides information about on-campus biking regulations and helps students through the required bike registration process. On campus, students are required to register their bicycles through Parking and Transportation Services.  

“Biking has a lot of benefits, it’s good for the environment, it’s one of the fastest ways for transportation, especially in a busy big city like Austin,” said government junior Christian Morales. “We want to push this out to the students so they can learn that UT has their back.”

Representatives from the Orange Bike Project, a nonprofit, student-run organization, attended the event to increase awareness of their goal to provide students with accessible transportation and free bike maintenance. The Orange Bike Project hosts the Orange Bike Club.

“We started Orange Bike Club as a way to grow the bike community at UT,” said psychology junior Esha Bajaj. “It’s a good way for you to learn bike safety in Austin on the streets, make friends and get to see new places.”

The Orange Bike Club meets every weekend at 27th Street Garage for free social rides. Students are provided with a bike to use for free if they do not have their own. “There’s so much stuff you can do, you can get around on a bike (or) you can use the bus,” electrical engineering freshman Eduardo Diaz said. “We’re just trying to show (students) safe, sustainable ways of getting around.”