Arch Manning’s big day spoiled by Team Orange in annual Orange-White matchup

Lorianne Willett
Quarterback Arch Manning throws during the Orange vs. White spring game on April 20, 2024.

Despite a dazzling showing from redshirt freshman quarterback Arch Manning, Team White couldn’t get the job done, falling to Team Orange at Texas’ annual Orange-White Spring Game.

Though boasting Texas’ top two quarterbacks and a more experienced stable of offensive talent, Team White couldn’t hold on, largely behind a terrific performance from Team Orange’s starter in freshman quarterback Trey Owens. While overreacting to a spring game is a fool’s errand, fans worried about depth in the quarterback room following Maalik Murphy’s departure should be able to exhale a bit. 

If Owens’ first bit of action in burnt orange was any indication of his future, Texas’ quarterback room looks positioned for more success down the line. The player from Cypress, Texas was composed in his start for the Orange team, moving well in the pocket and flashing a capable arm at his 6-foot-5 stature. He showed a budding connection with five-star recruit Ryan Wingo as well as senior Thatcher Milton, connecting with both on deep touchdowns in an impressive debut.

“Not to take a shot of those that put stars on quarterbacks, but I trust our evaluation, and we could probably recruit any quarterback in the country,” Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian said. “But Trey Owens is really talented and he can make a lot of throws, and so I’m very encouraged with where we’re at at the quarterback position.”

The star of the show, though, was Arch Manning, who looked every bit the part of a top recruit, dicing up Team Orange’s secondary all game after two empty series from rising redshirt junior Quinn Ewers. The rising redshirt freshman was near-perfect through the first half, connecting with rising sophomore DeAndre Moore Jr. for a 75-yard touchdown on his first play from scrimmage and completing another 10 straight passes in a 189-yard half.

Team White got off to a rough start, with a Ewers’ pass getting tipped at the line of scrimmage and picked off for a touchdown by senior defensive lineman Alfred Collins on just the third play of the game. A 56-yard sideline strike to Wingo pushed the deficit to 14-0 early, but Manning stepped in and helped turn the tide, giving Team White a 21-17 lead at the half on a field goal from rising senior Bert Auburn.

“I knew this entire week I was going to have one to two drives,” Ewers said. “But yeah, as a competitor I definitely wanted to go out there and put a good drive together, but (it) didn’t happen.”

Rising sophomore running back CJ Baxter gave the White Team its first lead coming out of half on a one-yard touchdown run, and it extended its lead with another Auburn field goal to make it a 27-21 contest.

Team Orange’s offense came out of the half stagnant, punctuated by an interception on senior quarterback Cole Lourd’s first snap. Owens would re-enter in the fourth quarter, however, and spearhead an impressive turnaround, sparked by a touchdown to rising junior Reece Beauchamp.

Manning answered quickly, tossing his second 75-yard touchdown of the day, this one going to Alabama transfer Isaiah Bond and electrifying the crowd. Bond, a junior, had an up-and-down day, displaying a rapport with Ewers that needs some polish, and dropping a touchdown to close the half but making a number of plays in the second half.

Owens, with just over three minutes to play, led the go-ahead drive, with the exclamation point coming on a back-shoulder touchdown to Wingo and the extra point to put Team Orange back up for good, with a score of 35-34. 

Team White got the ball back with under a minute to play and found its way to midfield, but a last-second Hail Mary from Manning was picked off. Manning finished unofficially with 19-of-25 passes completed, 355 yards and three touchdowns, as reported by Sports Illustrated affiliate Longhorns Country.

The game wraps up Texas football’s organized spring workouts, and players will get a break in May before returning for summer workouts in June.