Longhorn lefty keeps dueling for No. 1 Texas

Skyler Sharp
Senior Estelle Czech pitches during Texas’ game against Houston Christian on Feb. 21, 2024.

Fire, intensity and passion are all characteristics of how Texas softball senior pitcher Estelle Czech plays the game of softball. When Czech is in the circle, it is certainly a sight to see, zeroing in on batters and taking command of the game as Texas’ premier southpaw pitcher.

Czech began her softball journey at a young age. 

“I started t-ball in kindergarten,” Czech said. “Out of all the sports my parents kind of put me in at that age, softball just drew my attention the most.” 

Czech also credits her dad for guiding her through her early years learning the game of softball. 

“My dad played baseball mostly and he was pretty good when he was younger, so I had a good teacher growing up,” Czech said.

All of the hard work and dedication would eventually pay off for Czech as she found herself on the Forty Acres in 2022 after transferring from North Carolina State. The player from Downers Grove, Illinois proved to play a pivotal role for the 2022 Longhorns, making it to the opening round of regionals. 

Head Coach Mike White gave Czech the nod to start game one versus Weber State. Czech dominated the game, pitching a complete-game shutout. Her emotion on the mound remained prevalent during the Longhorn’s postseason run, one that led them all the way to the National Championship game at the 2022 Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City.

“Any chance I get to show how much I love the sport — it kind of comes out on the field as passion and energy,” Czech said.

Czech has shown time and time again that she thrives in high-pressure situations and no stage is too big for her to compete on. 

“The way to prepare for pressure is to practice like you play,” Czech said. “If you look at (pressure) the right way you can turn it into excitement and energy.” 

Czech’s postseason performances did not go unnoticed. One of Czech’s most notable career accolades is when she was named to the 2022 WCWS All-Tournament Team.

During the current 2024 season, the senior left-handed pitcher added to her list of accomplishments as she was the winning pitcher against then No.1 Oklahoma on April 7. Czech credits her teammates and explains that beating Oklahoma was a team effort. Through 46.1 innings pitched in 2024, Czech currently holds a 7–3 record with a 1.66 ERA and has totaled 19 strikeouts. 

“I couldn’t have done that without my teammates,” Czech said. “My teammates were absolutely amazing in that game, and they helped me a lot.”

As a senior who has competed for a national championship in a Longhorns uniform, Czech has stepped into a leadership position. 

“Just making sure to uphold the team standards,” Czech said. “All of the seniors have been doing a good job at that and just being good helpful leaders.”

Czech understands the importance and significance of being a Texas Longhorn.  “There’s a legacy here (at Texas),” Czech said. “It means a lot and a lot of eyes are on you so that’s fun and exciting.” 

Czech has created her own unique legacy during her time as a Longhorn. When her final pitch is thrown as a Longhorn in 2024, the senior wants people to remember her as someone who always left it all on the field. 

“I want to be remembered for the energy I bring and the passion I bring to the game,” Czech said.