Texas completes third consecutive sweep as they shut out Kansas 7-0

Ale De La Fuente
Sophomore pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez prepares to pitch on Sunday, March 3, 2024. Gutierrez had a season high of seven strikeouts during this game against Hofstra.

No. 1 Texas brought out its brooms as they completed the sweep against Kansas, shutting out the Jayhawks 7-0 in the final game of the series. 

It was just the third time that Kansas has been shut out all season, largely thanks to Texas’ sophomore pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez, who, for the fourth time this season, went the distance for the shutout. 

Improving her individual record to an undefeated 8-0, Gutierrez pitched all seven innings. On 95 pitches, the sophomore hurler allowed just four hits, walked one batter and struck out four. Her ERA now stands at an impressive 1.66 on the season. 

“Citlaly (Gutierrez) pitched very well and got stronger as the game went on,” said head coach Mike White.

On the offensive end for the Longhorns, it took some time to find productivity, but once the bats heated up, the fire went wild. 

After having scored just one run by the top of the fourth, Texas scored six times in the next inning. 

Sophomore infielder Viviana Martinez kicked off the scoring, doubling to right center field for two runs as junior third baseman Mia Scott and sophomore outfielder Ashton Maloney rounded the bases. Then, with Martinez now on third, sophomore designated hitter Reese Atwood singled up the middle for an RBI single. 

And then, with freshman pinch runner Adayah Wallace on third and freshman catcher Katie Stewart on first, junior first baseman Katie Cimusz stepped up to the plate. With the bat of Texas aflame, Cimusz launched one to deep left field, driving in three runs and extending the Longhorn lead to seven.

“Honestly, it just feels so great (when I’m able to have those good at bats when my number is called),” Cimusz said. “I put in the hard work during practice and pre-game, so seeing everything just come together feels really good.”

Cimusz homered twice this weekend, going 2-3 with five RBIs in two games. The junior isn’t necessarily an everyday starter, but when Coach White calls her name, it’s clear she’s more than ready.

“I put in the hard work during practice and pre-game, so seeing everything just come together feels really good,” Cimusz added.

Cimusz, who is batting .364 on the season, is one of 12 players on the softball roster hitting above .333. As a team, the Longhorns are hitting .369, second-best in all of Division One. Texas also doesn’t have one pitcher posting an ERA above 1.87. As a collective, the Longhorn pitching crew boasts a combined ERA of 1.69, which is sixth in all of Division 1.

To put it simply, No. 1 Texas is playing up to its title. 

Ever since the opening game of the Red River Rivalry 16 days ago, the Longhorns have remained undefeated. That includes two games against then No. 1 Oklahoma, a win against No. 25/22 Texas State, a series sweep against No. 24/RV Baylor, and now a clean wipe of Kansas. 

The current nine-game win streak is the longest run Texas has held since its 11-0 start at the beginning of the season. 

Additionally, in those 16 days, every top 10 team, besides the Longhorns, has lost at least one game. Texas is currently sitting on top of the softball mountain, proving its dominance when challenged and not letting anyone touch its peak.

Texas currently holds a record of 38–6 and will host Nicholls back at the 40 acres on April 25.