Hundreds of UT Austin students, faculty gather on campus for pro-Palestine protest

Lorianne Willett

Hundreds of students and faculty are gathered on Main Mall to protest the Israel-Hamas war and call for the University to divest from weapons manufacturing.

The protest, organized by Austin’s chapter of the Palestine Solidarity Committee, marks the latest surge of pro-Palestine demonstrations and encampments across college campuses in the U.S. 

Protesters gathered at Gregory Gymnasium at 11:40 a.m. and planned to move to Main Mall, when law enforcement officers informed them to stop the gathering.

Protesters marched along Speedway followed by University police on bikes, horseback, motorcycles and cars chanting “free Palestine,” when additional state troopers wearing riot gear made their way toward the crowd ordering them to disperse. 

The protesters moved to Main Mall by 2 p.m. Currently, police and state troopers occupy the lawn while protesters have moved to the surrounding lawn and sidewalks.

“UT Austin does not tolerate disruptions of campus activities or operations like we have seen at other campuses,” a UT spokesperson said. “This is an important time in our semester with students finishing classes and studying for finals and we will act first and foremost to allow those critical functions to proceed without interruption.”

This story is continuing to be monitored.