No. 1/1 Texas softball dominates in mercy rule win against No. 7/5 Florida

Skyler Sharp

A few days following senior outfielder Bella Dayton’s birthday, No. 1/1 Texas softball got her a 10-0 dominant win against No. 7/5 Florida, ending after five innings. 

It was the birthday girl in the lead-off position who got the offense moving in the first inning with a deep single into the left side, striking a pose after she was solidly on base.

Junior utility Mia Scott did her part to contribute to Dayton’s birthday present with a sacrifice bunt.

With a ground ball through the right side hit by sophomore shortstop Viviana Martinez, Dayton took off from second, sprinting towards home. Sliding towards the plate, Dayton easily brought in the first run for the Longhorns.

The game wasn’t just memorable for Dayton; senior captain and infielder Alyssa Washington got the moment she had dreamed about.

“I just told myself, no matter what, just compete,” Washington said about stepping up to the plate.

With two runners on base, Washington hit a home run into center left field to bring the Longhorns to a solid lead of 5-0, still with just one out in the first inning.

“That hit meant more than just the game,” Washington said, tearing up. “It was something I’ve been wanting to do since my first time coming here for my dad, so making that hit, it was all honor to him.”

Washington’s father passed away in 2021. Her mother was in the stands to receive the home run ball, per the tradition in Oklahoma City.

“The ball being given to my mom, that just made my life, that made my whole career,” Washington said.

Despite the home run, the Gators finished the inning without letting the Longhorns put any more runs on the board.

Two innings passed without much happening offensively on either side. But defensively, Texas was thriving.

Junior pitcher Mac Morgan stepped into the circle each inning with a determined look on her face.

Painting the corners of the strike zone with her drop ball, Morgan got five strikeouts throughout three innings, tying her season record.

“Honestly, I was just trying to produce ground balls for my defense,” Morgan said. “My defense showed up for me, and it was my turn to show up for them.”

But in the bottom of the fourth inning, the Longhorns were ready to start scoring again.

Scott stepped up to the plate with two outs and hit her 11th home run of the season.

Then the Longhorns did it again.

With two runners on base, Katie Stewart hit a home run, bringing the score up to 9-0. The last run of the game was added after pinch-hitting junior catcher Katie Cimusz brought in Washington to score. 

“Seven trips I’ve made, the first time I’ve actually won that second game,” head coach Mike White said. “It feels a lot better to be in this position than in the other, but we know there’s a lot of work ahead of us.”

With their second win, Texas will play the winner of the UCLA and Stanford matchup at 7 p.m. Monday.