Court hearing for Kylie Doniak case draws near

A court hearing will be held on Thursday for the man operating the vehicle that collided with and injured Kylie Doniak, UT student and soccer player.

Nicholas Colunga allegedly ran a red light, colliding with Doniak and two other pedestrians at the intersection of Eighth Street and San Jacinto Boulevard on Feb. 3. Colunga was apprehended by witness Sisto Perez, who pursued and tackled him after observing the accident. He was taken into police custody that night and has remained in jail since then.

According to court documents, Colunga is scheduled to appear at 9 a.m. on Thursday in the 147th Criminal District Court where Judge Clifford Brown will be presiding. He is under trial for four offenses including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and failure to stop and render aid.

Court clerk Jessica Garcia said Colunga will be represented by Robert Mueller on Thursday. Mueller could not be reached for comment.

UT athletics spokesman Thomas Dick said he could not release information about Doniak’s recovery because of privacy issues.

According to Doniak’s CaringBridge Web page, she is currently undergoing rehab in a hospital in California. An update posted on Saturday by her sister, Alyssa Doniak, reported that Kylie has had difficulty regaining her short-term memory and had a feeding tube removed last week.

“Thank you for the prayers and support and as always,” wrote Alyssa Doniak. “We love you all so much! We couldn’t do this without all of your help and of course without our faith. God’s still got this!”