Suspect identified in dorm attempted sexual assault [UPDATE]

Update at 12:30 p.m.UT spokeswoman Cynthia Posey released a statement saying the suspect in Sunday morning's attempted sexual assault, Ji Hun Choi,  was arrested Monday at the UTPD station. Choi, born in 1991, was charged with assault causing bodily injury, a Class A misdemeanor and improper photography, a state jail felony.

With the help of social media, a suspect in Sunday morning’s attempted sexual assault has been identified and charges are pending, UTPD Assistant Chief Terry McMahan said.

McMahan said UTPD believed the suspect was a student and that he may be involved in other similar cases.

“We put the pictures out on social media, and through that avenue we developed some leads which led to us identifying this person,” McMahan said. “We also have possible other cases referring to the same suspect. We will be investigating those as well.”

UTPD posted pictures captured by security cameras on Facebook Sunday afternoon of the suspect. According to Monday’s Campus Watch report, the suspect followed a female student into Roberts Dormitory early Sunday morning and then grabbed her from behind and attempted to assault her. The student reported she elbowed the suspect and kicked him off, which caused him to leave the area quickly.

McMahan said an arrest has not been made, but charges were pending.