SG to vote on bill to require presidents, vice presidents to address students on YouTube

Student Government’s increased presence on YouTube might become permanent if a new bill passes through the general assembly next week.

Wills Brown, Student Government vice president, and Joshua Fuller, College of Liberal Arts representative, authored a new bill which would require future Student Government presidents and vice presidents to create at least four video addresses to the student body via YouTube every term. The general assembly will vote on the bill during Tuesday’s student government meeting in the Student Activity Center at 7 p.m.

Transparency and outreach were part of Student Government President Thor Lund and Brown’s campaign platform when they ran for their positions last spring. The two promised they would do regular YouTube addresses to update students on what Student Government is working on.

Student Government has released two videos this semester under Lund and Brown, one for September and another for October. They have made various announcements in these videos, including making the Perry-Castañeda Library operate 24 hours, five days a week midway through the semester.

“We have always said that we want students to know and recognize their student body president and vice president,” Lund said. “We want to stay connected with them and let them know that we are working every day to improve their lives on campus, and a video address is the best way to keep them updated and let them know what we are doing.”

Brown said the only concern he and Lund have heard is whether the bill would imply YouTube addresses are the only thing Student Government needs to do in terms of outreach. He said that is not the case.

“This is a stepping stone to more outreach and transparency,” Brown said. “This will require the future SG president and vice president do YouTube addresses, but they can do anything else they want. YouTube addresses are not the only thing they need to do.”

Brown said making the videos is a quick and easy process and normally takes no more than an hour. Since releasing the videos, Brown said he has been recognized on campus by strangers.

“In years past, the visibility of Student Government hasn’t been as much as it has been this year,” he said.

Anthropology senior Claire Porter said she had not seen the YouTube addresses Lund and Brown make. The addresses have been sent out via Twitter, Facebook and email. Porter could not name any of Student Government’s accomplishments, such as making the PCL 24/5.

“Honestly, I don’t know that much about Student Government,” Porter said. “It would be cool to hear more about them. I’m sure they do a lot of things I don’t know about.”

Porter is part of the group of students Lund and Brown are hoping the YouTube addresses will reach.

As of Tuesday, Student Government’s YouTube channel had 76 subscribers and a little more than 7,000 video views. Student Government represents more than 50,000 students.