Perry Castañeda Library consolidates service desk

The Perry Castañeda Library is making the trip to the library a little easier with an all-in-one service desk.

During the summer, the PCL is under construction to create a student services desk that will include both circulation and reference services in an effort to expand study space, according to UT Libraries Communication Director Travis Willmann. 

Willmann said the new service desk is a move toward more efficiency for the library, with one desk to return books and get library information. 

“It’s to create more space for student use and make sure students get all they need at one stop,” Willmann said.

Construction will take place throughout the normal work day so the desk is ready at the beginning of the fall semester, Willmann said. He said the library is often updated with minor changes during summer months.

A wall will be put up to separate the construction from the library to help reduce noise. Willmann said earplugs are available at no charge to students who want them.

Biochemistry major Jaynie Nguyen believes the noise from construction should not be a problem, especially if there are quiet floors.

“It’s going to be a positive change for staff and students,” said Maggie Bond, a PCL service desk employee and information studies graduate student.

While the new service area is being completed, library patrons can use the temporary service desk across from the construction on the ground floor.

Follow Luqman Adeniyi @StopnLuqman.