Up-and-down Longhorns should eke out win against TCU

The Longhorns are nearly impossible to read. After having a horrendously lackluster performance against Iowa State, Texas had, by far, its best game of the year the next week against No. 12 Oklahoma. The big difference was the Longhorns’ rushing attack. Running backs Johnathan Gray and Malcolm Brown both rushed for at least 120 yards on a combined 52 carries. Despite the big win, TCU still comes into the game slightly favored, presumably due to a lack of faith in backup quarterback Case McCoy, whose play is a legitimate concern. TCU has one of the best secondaries in the country. But the backup quarterback doesn’t need to be a game-breaker. If McCoy takes care of the ball like he did against the Sooners, the Longhorns can sneak out of Fort Worth with a win.

Texas (+1.5) at TCU

Lock of the Week

South Carolina at Missouri (-3)    

Picking a lock in a matchup of two Top 25 teams may seem risky, but these two clubs are trending in opposite directions. Missouri is coming off an incredible two-week stretch in which they knocked off Georgia on the road by 15 points and then handled Florida easily at home by 19. South Carolina has been mediocre on the road all season and now they likely have to go at it without their starting quarterback Connor Shaw, who injured his knee last week in a loss to Tennessee. Missouri’s surprising rise to the Top 5 should last at least another week.

Upset Alert

Boston College (+7.5) at North Carolina

North Carolina is favored by more than a touchdown. That’s just too much for a 1-5 Tar Heels team that lost at home to East Carolina by 24 points. Boston College kept it close against Clemson and gave powerhouse Florida State their best game to date. They should be able to at least keep it within a touchdown, if not outright win against a talented but underachieving North Carolina squad.

Darren’s record: 8-10 (.444)