Lebarron Johnson Jr. leads Texas baseball to take series over TCU following 2-1 win

Joy Li
Texas’ Lebarron Johnson Jr. pitches against A&M-Corpus Christi on Feb. 21, 2022. Texas defeated A&M-Corpus Christi 12-2.

Texas baseball picked up its fifth Big 12 conference series win on Sunday afternoon after scraping by TCU 2-1, finishing the game on a high note despite watching head coach David Pierce getting ejected during the eighth inning. 

After launching a triple to left-center field, sophomore center fielder Jared Thomas ran home on a single hit by sophomore left fielder Max Belyeu. Redshirt senior third baseman Peyton Powell looked to make his way to second base but was put out due to the ball hitting his leg, ending the inning without an additional run from Thomas.

Pierce became visibly irritated, and after arguing with the umpires following their call against Powell, he was ejected from the game.

“I think he was fighting for our guys, fighting for the team, and fighting for that moment,” assistant coach Steve Rodriguez said. “I think that our guys were more pumped up than anything, they love seeing that fight out of their coaches, they want to know that we’re in the fight with them.”   

The game truly began in the second inning, as Texas redshirt junior starting pitcher Lebarron Johnson Jr. gave up a double to TCU freshman Sam Myers, who would advance to third base and later score, both on a wild pitch.   

But TCU’s pitching staff would give Texas some time to answer, allowing two walks that would give freshman first baseman Casey Borba a chance to bring them home. Borba slammed a double right in front of the Yeti Yard for two RBIs, setting off a chorus of fans and their furry friends cheering during UFCU Disch-Falk Field’s annual Bark in the Park event.   

Borba registered four hits, two doubles, and five RBIs across the three-day series, all new career-highs within a series for the California native. 

“He’s one of the guys that our coaches really talk about regarding quality at-bats,” Rodriguez said. “He can do a lot of different things, he can handle the bat, he’s got some power. Watching him go out there I think surprises more people than it does us.”       

Entering the third inning with Texas taking the reins at 2-1, Johnson wouldn’t allow another run from TCU for four more innings before redshirt sophomore Gage Boehm took to the mound. He threw seven strikeouts through a total of six innings pitched, the most he’s seen within the past six games he’s appeared in. Johnson was able to bring his overall ERA down from 5.57 to 5.03, making a significant improvement against the lack of recent success he’s had.

“To be able to be present, to be out there for my team, that was kind of the main thing that I was happy about,” Johnson said. “My last few starts have been kind of depressing, but I can’t really focus on that, I’m just focusing on being with my team.”    

Still sitting at 2-1 heading into the ninth inning, all Texas needed to do was to leave TCU without a shot at a last-minute comeback. With Boehm keeping the Horned Frogs quiet since his arrival at the top of the seventh inning, one strikeout and no hits, runs, or walks would secure Texas’ win.     

The Longhorns will return to UFCU Disch-Falk Field against UT-Arlington on Tuesday for the last matchup in its five-game home stretch before traveling to Norman to take on Oklahoma.